Predator 15 (G9-591) Fan too loud/inconsistent under ANY load

pecher
pecher Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Predator 15 980m (g9-591) on Windows 10 and am wondering if thre's anything I can do about the fan speed as soon as vitrually any load is detected. The only time the fans are not at a high speed is when the system is idle on the desktop.

Typically, opening any app, including the browser, itunes, games, the fans will kick on. As soon as a game starts, the fans will kick on into maximum high speed and will stay on until I exit the game. I don't understand why the fans need to kick on for literally every application. It's most prominent the second I start a game or a video streaming application. I understand this is to cool the laptop but it's very annoying because it's so LOUD and INCONSITENT with the fan speed. At any given time the fan will switch from high to extremely, overly high.

PredatorSense and Cool Boost:

I've disabled maximum fan speed in Predator Sense. This helped for when the system was idle only; again, during browsing, games, movies, etc, the fans will seemingly kick onto high speed again. I've also disabled Cool Boost, same thing. I've also updated my drivers, BIOS, reinstalled drivers (including chipset, I/O and PredatorSense), reinstalled windows and the same thing.

The fans become excessively loud when they are not needed. I don't need them to kick into maximum speed as soon as a game starts or I'm browsing the internet. I can't take this laptop to class because it gets very loud from simply typing on Microsoft Word or browsing the internet. Again, gaming is also very unpleasant because the fans RPM increases when it's simply not needed.

Any suggestions, special drivers I can try?

Thanks for your help

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Yes,

they are really fine, but not really silent. It depends to the relatively small fans and the fact, that the processor comes up to 99 degrees.

My only advice here is to use the fan module instead of the Blueray or DVD combo. It cools down some percent.

Or wait, a friend of mine bought  a relatively expensive fan station for notebooks. You just put it onto it. I''s radiators should be very silent of course.

From software side I just can tell you, that it's not really another behaviour, if I use Linux Mint, which works all together quite perfect.

• Kuze
    Kuze Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have found the solution
    Go into your 'advanced power settings' and change the maximum cpu state to 80. After some trial and error I found this number is really quiet. If you go down to 75 it's completely silent. The tradoff here is performance, but it's the only way I can use my Acer and keep my relationship.
  • yassir186
    yassir186 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Has anyone found a real solution?