Predater laptop 17

Almostover
Almostover Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
When i play games its getting hotter than before and the games preforming reduce also the fps drop down .. please help

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

The issue is the thermal paste. It doesn't have any durability at all. It probably got very dry. Same thing happened to me 3months ago after using the laptop for 5-6months.

You can purchase a good quality thermal paste e.g Arctic MX-4, IC diamond or thermal grizzly kryonaut. Or if you don't want to void your warranty, send the unit to Acer, but it will take months for them to fix it. I sent my laptop to them more than a month ago and had to send it back to them 3 times as they couldn't fix the overheating problem and instead my laptop reached even higher temperatures. Now is the third time and I am waiting for them to send it back and hope that this time they have fixed it.

I regret sending the laptop to them, but at the end of the day you won't lose warranty. If you want to fix the problem within 30minutes and get cool temperatures do the repasting yourself. If you don't mind waiting for months and not lose warranty, send it to Acer (thermal paste is the last think they are gonna check, as they are du..). Also undervolting the CPU with XTU from Intel will bring your temperatures down without affecting performance. The CPU works on 1.3V which is way too high so undervolting it to about 1.15-1.2 will do the job.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I've undervolted (-150 millivolts or -.150 volts) my CPU using the Intel Extreme Tuning utility and my CPU temps are now running 20c cooler than they were.  Been running stable for a week no problems(I tested using various stress tests including intels own and also prime95 and lowered the voltage in 10 millivolt increments).  It's free and simple and you don't have to open up your unit.  My CPU stays under 80c now all the time even under stress for hours playing battlefield 1.

Here's a youtube of how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OdTmylZNQ&list=PLU3n5VGqlV9W-qn7vGG3UrTkkvCUAddYs

• dairo1
    dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter

Omg this worked. I was hitting 95 c on a low demanding game. I undervolted it 0.140 and its stable, the temps dropped to 80 under load. Incredible. I'm going to go farther and see when I get the blue screen. 

Thanks so much man!!!! 

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Perfect buddy.  Those are great results.  I'm happy at -.150!  I actually went up slightly higher and then backed it off a little to -.150 when I knew it was stable slightly higher(or lower I guess is more like it).  Love seeing the cpu at around 80c as well!