Helios 300 Graphics card

christianchalk
christianchalk Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I got the Acer Predator Helios 300, and it comes with the NVIDIA GTX 1060. It worked great for about two weeks then the graphics card stopped working. Deleting and reinstalling the drivers fixes it for a few hours, but then it stops working again. Ive called predator support a few times and they havent been able to help, and now they want me to ship the laptop to them to fix it. (It takes 7-10 days for it to even get to them). I really dont feel comfortable shipping off a computer i just paid over a thousand dollars for. If I cant find a fix im probably just going to return it and get the Samsung Oddesy or something by Asus. 

The device manager is giving me the error code 43, wich from what ive read is a pretty common issue with this pc.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

your laptop BIOS version is 1.03?

do you have error code 43 even with drivers downloaded from nVidia website?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • christianchalk

Everytime i go to use my laptop i have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers

• IronFly

can you please answer which BIOS version is installed on your laptop?

to find the BIOS version:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/Version

and which nVidia drivers version are you installing? (from Acer or nvidia website?

• christianchalk

V1.o1

And im using the driver installer from the acer website, although ive tried both

• christianchalk

New version of BIOS istalled. After i installed the new version of BIOS, i uninstalled my Graphics card, and reinstalled with the latest drivers. Its Still having the same issue

• IronFly

time to call Acer support service:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• christianchalk

Yeah, already did. They dont have a fix for it and they want me to send it in.

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

It's odd that it works for a couple of hours everytime you cycle the drivers...hard to see how a piece of hardware that is malfunctioning at a board level gets fixed by drivers...I might try uninstalling driver and rolling back to some older versions of the driver(I'm talking 2-3 revs back).  Try that and see what happens.  Have you installed any other devices or drivers on your system that triggered the issue? 

Hope this helps.

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

BTW that is a common error in Windoze period not just for tthis PC.  All it says is that a device is reporting a problem which happens quite a lot.

• VTR-430
    VTR-430 Member Posts: 2 New User

It happened the same with mine, but the first time I called it I noticed that the gtx 1060 was not activated, I looked at the device manager, and there was error 43. I got this notebook, I live in Brazil, there is no way to send it to The warranty, I have already done all the procedures mentioned here, I updated bios, I reinstalled the windows of the factory and continued the error 43. I am disappointed. All my computers are up to date. I will donate it to someone who does not use the gtx 1060, and see some other brand.

• VTR-430
    VTR-430 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Could you fix your notebook? Can you help-me ? My new helios 300 has error 43
  • iceman0124
    iceman0124 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I had a similar issues many years ago on my desktop, installed video card driver over a dozen times....turned out to be a failing hard drive. The install was succesful and correct, but a short while later the driver files would get corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Not sure if this is the problem you guys are having but is soemthing I suggest you look into.

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

VTR-430 wrote:
    Could you fix your notebook? Can you help-me ? My new helios 300 has error 43

What NVIDIA driver version do you have? Sounds like a common problem people are having, you should try the latest Nvidia driver from the Acer website. It's called a VGA driver on the ACER site and you will see under the "Vendor" list it will say NVIDIA.

This is where you can get it from: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7213?b=1

• methosi
    methosi Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi IronFly,
    I have the issue with my graphic card. Device Manager say code 43.
    I also did some troubleshot but the issue is still the same?

I tried to uninstall/install VGA driver, and also computer reset but it the problem is still there.
    I checked my BIOS version. It's v1.03 April 28,2017

• IronFly

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

as far as i know the latest BIOS is 1.09, check on the above link with your laptop model and update BIOS.

error 43 is the black beast for nvidia GPUs

• Flx

Yes update your BIOS, I believe the code 43 has to do with the Nvidia driver which I would get from their website http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123221/en-us

• methosi
    methosi Member Posts: 2 New User
    I did update to version 1.09 and try reinstall the VGA driver (Acer version & Nividia latest version). Both of them still fail, I think I gonna return this laptop back
  • Flx

Sorry to hear that, you can try using a program called 'display driver uninstaller' or ddu (make sure to boot into safe mode frst) and reinstalling both and see if that fixes it. You could also try a battery reset (click here) before that.

• xjjochimx
    xjjochimx Member Posts: 1 New User
    I figure how to fix it. All you need to do is search GeForce [Click here] in the internet and it should show you the home page. After you have done that you will just have to download the 

GeForce Experience 

Which will be the latest version and just wait for like 10 minutes and your problem will be solve.  :):p