G9-793-78CM

ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

For some reason, Im unable to boot from a USB flash drive with MemTest86+ on it.  I've tried every port, and have my USB ports at the top of the boot order in BIOS.  It looks at it, and I see activity on the flash drive light, but it never actually boots.  I don't get it.  Could it be that every file from the 5.01 release of MemTest is unbootable?  I even used their Windows-based installer, and it supposedly did its thing, but still fails to boot.  I also cant seem to change Secure Boot option.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

For information, I would use MemTest86 V7.2 Free Edition:

• IMPORTANT: MemTest86 V5 (and later) images supports dual booting (UEFI/BIOS). On machines that don't support UEFI, the older V4 BIOS release of MemTest86 will be automatically booted.
    • Features: http://www.memtest86.com/features.htm
    France

Answers

• Xigenon
    Xigenon Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

By any chance did you try flashing Memtest on another usb device?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the bootable USB flash drive must be UEFI compatible or it will not boot.

i doubt memtest is UEFI compatible, so you need to switch to Legacy or LaunchCSM on BIOS to be able to boot from it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

For information, I would use MemTest86 V7.2 Free Edition:

• IMPORTANT: MemTest86 V5 (and later) images supports dual booting (UEFI/BIOS). On machines that don't support UEFI, the older V4 BIOS release of MemTest86 will be automatically booted.
    • Features: http://www.memtest86.com/features.htm
    France
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Really? I was on memtest.org, and it said the latest version was 5.01. Guess that site is almost 4 years out of date. Just looked at 7.2, and it's working.