G9-793-78CM - Raid to single NVMe

ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I keep going around about this in my head.  Since we apparetnly cant change off of Raid in BIOS, can we not therefore go from two 128GB M.2s to a single NVMe (Samsung 960 EVO for example)?  Or will the BIOS detect the change in configuration and preform a factory restore (from the factory restore USB drive I made) to the single NVMe drive without issue?

I would, at some point, like to have the 960 EVO as my system drive, a second NVMe for game installations, and my 2.5" SATA drive (850 EVO) set up as my misc data storage and back up drive.

Is that configration even possible yet on the 793?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you take off the original SSD and place the NVMe only, using your USB recovery drive, you will be able to have a single SSD without RAID.

even if you add another SSD, RAID will not try to recreate an array, until you will give the command using iRST.

if your laptop has the port needed by your configuration, it will work without issues.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ChevyCam94

I kinda figured thats what would happen.  But if I want to go back and reinstall the two factory M.2s, and get by my factory Raid setup, I would have to then use the factory recovery media, and it would automatically install as a Raid again?

• Cstrife2
    Cstrife2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I would like to know about this as well.

I am also curious to know if the nvme drive run at full speed even though the BIOS will still be in RAID mode or will there be a performance loss?

• ChevyCam94
    I mainly ask because we can't change with Raid mode option yet in BIOS. Plus, I'm not all into killing my new laptop. lol
  • Cstrife2
    Cstrife2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I keep seeing around the forums that RAID / AHCI options is not "yet" available or not at the "moment".

Does Acer usually open these options up to us in later BIOS / UEFI updates?

If they do give us the option in a later update, does anyone know usually how long after a laptop has been released before the do?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

RAID/AHCI are chipset settings and it's on BIOS, it's not OS dependant.

i can't tell you if Acer will ever add the AHCI support, by the way, i will try to highlight this thread to Acer's employees.

About recreating the RAID array on the factory NVMe SSD, that's a good question.

I suppose (but i don't have any proof of that):

if you use the original/factory recovery media (that you can create), this would have the correct iRST command to recreate the RAID array;

if you use a vanilla windows 10 installation media, you will need to create the RAID array using iRST command line, prior to install windows 10 (shift +F10 at language selection with iRST x64 CLI on installation media or plugged USB flash drive).

Since i don't own a capable RAID SSD NVMe, i can't check this.

I'm not an Acer employee.