G9 593 Very low battery life, even with low usage, is it normal?

xen0s
xen0s Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I have G9 593 with Core I7 7700hq and GTX 1070 and a FullHd screen. Its a brand new machine - got it 2 weeks ago. Yesterday for the first time I decided to use it on battery - just to watch youtube nothing else. It lasted only about 2 hours and this is on power saver mode, bluetooth is turned off and WIFI is on, screen brightness was about 40%. Now I knew the battery life was low, but this is crazy, none of the reviews are mentioning such a horrible battery life, unless gaming, and Im not doing this, Im just watching youtube. Is this normal, or should I be thinking of contacting Acer for repairs?

Answers

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

I can say that youtube or any other internet steaming, is very hard for battery life. Plus google chrome is garbage in turms of battery saving. So its okay. Try watching it from Edge.

• xen0s

Im watching from FireFox, CPU is undervolted by 0.120, it is also propperty underclocked to 800mhz and usage is quite low - about 5%. And I just noticed, the video is not even HD, its 360p... I will test with edge tho, as you suggested. Also will test just watching full hd movie from the disk drive.

Edit: this is insane, I just stopped everything, and the estimated remaining battery life was just 10 minutes longer than when a video was running in youtube and was decreasing at pretty much the same rate. Something is not quite right here...

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

I don't understand what else you can expect from a gaming machine but low battery life. I have read lots of reviews and they all mention max 2.5 hours battery life, while streaming and that is when the brightness is set to 0%(minimum) + battery safer mode. There is nothing wrong with your battery or laptop, you could have just read more reviews or looked for something else that has longer battery life e.g g9-791 or g9-591. The battery technology hasn't developed much, since the first lithium-ion batteries have been invented. This has always been an obstacle for portable devices. It is easy to just use bigger battery but that means the laptop will also be bigger, which completely destroys the meaning of the word 'portable'. 21X is an exception.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• xen0s

Thanks for the reply, but you are not right in regard that it is normal. It is not possible that the battery life when playing a game (about 2 hours) and the one when watching a youtube clip to be the same. There was a quite obvious problem after some research, thankfully it should be a software one. The GTX 1070 was not properly downclocking when not under load. This was resulting in a high power draw and therefore **bleep** battery life, enven when doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So I did a clean driver install of the latest version and now it appears to be quite fine. Now as I am browsing internet pages and writing this response, I am getting about 6 hours of estimate battery life (as to about 2 previously). I will do more testing and post in this thread is this resolved the issue permanantly.