G-SYNC gone on G5-793

peoecp
peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I upgraded the bios on my G5-793 from 1.04 to 1.08 and got G-SYNC enabled on the builtin display. Later I got the display replaced because of stucked pixels. When I got the computer back, I upgraded to bios 1.09 when I was reinstalling everything else. Now G-SYNC is gone. Wrong hardware? Bug in the bios? Driver problem? Anyone seen this?

Best Answer

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Not really:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-17-3-LG-Philips-LP173WF4-SPF1-SP-F1-eDP-Laptop-LED-Screen-FHD-IPS-/401086698457

The real question is how they managed to get the TN pannel working on the laptop, LVDS should not be compatible with eDP, diffrent pins and all.

The only thing that comes to mind is that perheaps in some markets there are g5-793s without gsync, since they don't advertise it as gsync it might be impossible.

When you get it back you could compare the motherboard serial number/pictures with the rest of us, g5/g9 793 are supposed to have identical motherboards...minus a connector or 2.

Answers

• Daedronus

Not the BIOS, I'm on 1.09 and still have g-sync, probably the replacement pannel, did you had it serviced at acer? If not meybe they used a generic replacement that is not g-sync enabled.

• peoecp

It was repaired by Acer in Germany. Windows recognizes the display as a Generic PNP. Is that correct?

• Daedronus

use hwinfo, you need the pannel name.

• peoecp

Hwinfo says it's a AU Optronics B173HW01 V0

• Daedronus

Strange, I'm willing to bet the g-sync was gone after the service, you just didn't notticed untill the bios update, I would contact the service.

G5-793 is most defenitly supposed to have g-sync, mine does other people have it too.

Also, it's the new pannel a TN pannel?

See:

http://www.panelook.com/B173HW01%20V0_AUO_17.3_LCM_overview_734.html

G5-793 is supposed to have a 75hz IPS 6bit pannel.

• peoecp

You're saying that it's having a 60Hz TN, but is supposed to have a 75Hz IPS?

If I hadn't notices the G-SYNC option in the nvidia software before I sent it,

I wouldn't miss it now.

I'm going to speak with the support tomorrow to see if it's going back

for another replacement.

• peoecp

An update about this.

I did send my G5-793 for a replacement of the wrongly installed TN panel and have now been waiting for 2 weeks.

Nothing have happened for over 1 week and I suspect that it's because the correct IPS panel is not available.

Have you who have a G5-793, checked your hardware to see which panel you have installed?

I wouldn't have noticed the switch if I hadn't discovered that the G-SYNC settings was gone.

• Daedronus

LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1

• Daedronus

After reading a bit about g-sync it seems g-sync on laptops more closly resembles free sync, there is no g-sync module.

To have g-sync you need just 2 conditions:

The gpu is directly connected to the lcd pannel.

The pannel suppoerts the eDP 1.3 standard.

And that's it, the  eDP 1.3 standard  added the features needed, there is nothing g-sync spcific in the pannel.

The replacement pannel is LVDS 40 pins, it can't support g-sync

LP173WF4 is eDP 30 pins....If you originally had g-sync (with eDP) how the hell did they managed to replace it with a LVDS pannel?

Strange

• peoecp

It's been dead silent from the repair shop for over a week. Maybe the are wondering the same? I did not check the serialnumber after I got it back last time. The 1.08 BIOS says "Supports G-SYNC for new panel". Was there an older version of the G5-793 without G-SYNC?

• peoecp

It's now been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for my G5-793.

The disturbing thing is that they say that it's because they can't

get the correct panel for this brand new computer.

Does this mean that everyone with a G5-793 or G9-793 will get an old

TN-panel if they send it to an Acer repair shop and don't detect the switch

or is it just me?

• Daedronus
    Answer ✓

Not really:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-17-3-LG-Philips-LP173WF4-SPF1-SP-F1-eDP-Laptop-LED-Screen-FHD-IPS-/401086698457

The real question is how they managed to get the TN pannel working on the laptop, LVDS should not be compatible with eDP, diffrent pins and all.

The only thing that comes to mind is that perheaps in some markets there are g5-793s without gsync, since they don't advertise it as gsync it might be impossible.

When you get it back you could compare the motherboard serial number/pictures with the rest of us, g5/g9 793 are supposed to have identical motherboards...minus a connector or 2.

• peoecp

The reseller has agreed to replace my computer and I will receive a new one. The old one has been at the repair shop for almost 6 weeks since january. Thanks for the feedback Daedronus.