Cooler not working Predator Helios 300

maxiskt
maxiskt Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

My laptop is brand new, but after one hour of gaming I detected an unusual heating in the left part of the keyboard and 2 mins later the laptop went into auto-shutdown. Later i checked with Predator Sense and apparently the GPU fan is not working. I also looked from below and i could actually see that just one fan is moving. Since I lost Acer's warranty because i moved to another country, and no return option in Amazon because im out to the return period, i decided to find myself a solution. Is there anyone else here with the same issue? Could someone please recommend me what to do or help me find the possible cause of this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• maxiskt
    Answer ✓
    I couldn't get the fan replacement here, so what I did was to adapt another model of fan including the little engine, to the frame of the original predator fan. Of course first I had to check the new voltage and amperage matches the original.
    Apparently is working very well, though the RPM is not the same. I also replaced the thermal compound (I used MX-4) and the temperature is stable.

Anyways, thanks for the help.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    I would consider contacting Acer support and ask to speak with a service technician of some sort (someone who actually fixes the laptops). I would think they would be able to let you buy one from Acer. The problem is being able to talk to the person who could do this for you.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

There are some simple things that can be done, but very unlikely to fix your problem, but still a possibility. You can reset the battery by sticking a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole. Then wait for 10minutes( laptop should not be connected to charger) and then press the power button continuously for 30 seconds. Also make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version. And last and least important reinstall Predator Sense just to be sure that the problem is not software related before opening the laptop.

If the things above don't help it is time to open the laptop.

-Possible fault of the fan sometimes the fan may get stuck and it may need a little push to start up.

-Look for any cable damage. It is easier if you have a multimeter to check if there is a continuous connection throughout the fan wires. By checking the continuity of the wires, you also check the fan motor. You can use a little battery and connect it with wires to the fan and see if it will start spinning. If it doesn't then it is a fault with the fan itself.

-It might be a fault with the motherboard not providing current for the fan - look for any blown capacitors. To check if it is a motherboard fault, you will have to set the multimeter to measure voltage(between the pins where the fan is connected), while the laptop is ON(IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS FOR THE MACHINE AND YOU MIGHT KILL IT IF IT NOT DONE PRECISLY. IT IS BETTER TO BE DONE BY TECHNICIAN). I think it is not very likely that a capacitor has blown up as the machine is brand new, but anything is possible.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• maxiskt

ven98 ha escrito:

There are some simple things that can be done, but very unlikely to fix your problem, but still a possibility. You can reset the battery by sticking a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole. Then wait for 10minutes( laptop should not be connected to charger) and then press the power button continuously for 30 seconds. Also make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version. And last and least important reinstall Predator Sense just to be sure that the problem is not software related before opening the laptop.

-Possible fault of the fan sometimes the fan may get stuck and it may need a little push to start up.

-Look for any cable damage. It is easier if you have a multimeter to check if there is a continuous connection throughout the fan wires. By checking the continuity of the wires, you also check the fan motor. You can use a little battery and connect it with wires to the fan and see if it will start spinning. If it doesn't then it is a fault with the fan itself.

-It might be a fault with the motherboard not providing current for the fan - look for any blown capacitors. To check if it is a motherboard fault, you will have to set the multimeter to measure voltage(between the pins where the fan is connected), while the laptop is ON(IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS FOR THE MACHINE AND YOU MIGHT KILL IT IF IT NOT DONE PRECISLY. IT IS BETTER TO BE DONE BY TECHNICIAN). I think it is not very likely that a capacitor has blown up as the machine is brand new, but anything is possible.

Thanks for your quick answer. I tried The battery reset and reinstalling Predator Sense, but the issue continues. Im going to open the laptop,and i'll update you the news. 

Cheers

• maxiskt

Hi! Sorry for the delay.

I finally got some quiet time to open the laptop. I did some tests with a multimeter, but apparently electricity is running ok. So I did this: I took the two fans and switch them places. One in the place of the other. And this way i've confirmed that the problem is the cooler itself and not the electricity. 

The question now is, how and where could i get the replacement for this cooler: WhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 19.56.13(1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-10-15 at 19.56.13.jpeg

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I am sorry to hear that issue can't be fixed.

Unfortunately, I don't know the part number of the fans, nor how to find it. Brummyfan or someone can tell you part number of the fans.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• maxiskt
    Answer ✓
    I couldn't get the fan replacement here, so what I did was to adapt another model of fan including the little engine, to the frame of the original predator fan. Of course first I had to check the new voltage and amperage matches the original.
    Apparently is working very well, though the RPM is not the same. I also replaced the thermal compound (I used MX-4) and the temperature is stable.

Anyways, thanks for the help.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    I would consider contacting Acer support and ask to speak with a service technician of some sort (someone who actually fixes the laptops). I would think they would be able to let you buy one from Acer. The problem is being able to talk to the person who could do this for you.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hey @brummyfan2 maybe he can help you out with the part number. Is your cooler not spinning?
  • HarpoMarx
    HarpoMarx Member Posts: 4 New User
    Yep same ***** happened to me :D Nice after 3 months of owning it :D
    Weird doh as on boot it starts spinning for a few seconds and than it stops -> any links to purchase new fan online ?
  • geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    HarpoMarx said:m
    Yep same ***** happened to me :D Nice after 3 months of owning it :D
    Weird doh as on boot it starts spinning for a few seconds and than it stops -> any links to purchase new fan online ?
    Mmhh... If it start spinning on boot, it means that the fan is working and it's not dead : instead, you should try to understand what makes it stop.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Try reinstalling Turbo Boost drivers from Acer, they seem to have been auto updated by windows and causes many conflicts with Predator Sense. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • IsmailJavery
    IsmailJavery Member Posts: 1 New User
    mine is not working also cpu fan but It was solved by i try pin to spin it on running laptop It was stopped because of dust nothing else now it works fine sorry my grammer is not too good but mybe it helps
  • RINKASHIME
    RINKASHIME Member Posts: 5 New User
    ven98 said:

Hello,i have the very same problem. Altho both of my fans are not working.  I tried resetting and updating my BIOS. Aswell as the predator sense. My wires are all good. My uncle checked them with the multimeter and was legitimately working. I don't see any damage in wires or anything. So both of my fans are at 0rpm and didn't even moved even once. I also tried cleaning them so it's smooth and clean af. 

So what i did is since theres nothing customer service can do in our city .. i ordered fans from online that fits the helios 300. I hope those two same models work for both my cpu and gpu.

Thanks

• VNM02
    VNM02 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just don't fight and contact the technical support, that issue appears when the fans of the laptop just are stucked by dust.