Acer predator 15 Laptop G9-593, Battery problem, 5TB hard drive upgrade

Terryalexa301
Terryalexa301 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

G9-593

Acer predator 15 (G9-593), battery problem with 5TB hard-drive upgrade

G9-593-73D6

I recently had my Laptop in for repair for a battery problem.

They found no fault with the battery and when it returned It ran ok running on battery.

I then switched the drive back to a Seagate 5TB drive 2.5" 15mm.

The laptop wouldn't power on from battery, I tried the mains power and it works with power plugged in only.

I think there is a problem with the laptop providing enough power for the 5TB drive on battery power.

SEAGATE  ST5000LM000  BarraCuda® 2.5" 15mm Laptop Hard Drive, 5TB Technical Data sheet

Power Management                      5TB         1TB          2TB

Startup Current (+5 V, A)              1.2          1.0          1.0

Read/Write Power, Average (W)   1.9/2.1    1.6/1.7    1.7/1.8

Idle Power, Average (W)               1.1          0.45         0.5

You can see that the 1TB and 2TB drives require the same startup current.
The Read/Write Power Average for the 1TB/2TB and also symilar, where the 5TB requires a jump to 1.9/2.1 W.
Also the Idle Power Average for the 1TB/2TB are almost identical, but the 5TB uses 1.1 W.

So you can see the power differences between the default 1TB and the typical upgrade of 2TB, compared to a 5TB drive.

This would explain why my laptop fails to startup on battery power with the 5TB drive installed.

Though you would think that if the laptop can run normally on mains power, the hardware specifications could cope with the requirements of 5TB.

Also looking at the startup and read write power average for the 5TB I don't think there would be a serious drain on the battery compared to a 2TB drive upgrade.

Therefore I ask the Acer engineers/developers to look at this and possibly make some change within the firmware, so that people can upgrade the hard drive to 5TB, (which is perfect for gaming) without a power/battery problem.

Possible future firmare update?

Answers

• RedBoxsterM8
    RedBoxsterM8 Member Posts: 1 New User

Well, it seems I have the same issue as Terryalexa301 - great the problem is documented here as I was just about to return the laptop. Hopefully, this can be resolved as mentioned in some sort of firmware update in the future.

• Terryalexa301
    Terryalexa301 Member Posts: 5 New User

I posted  this in January 2017 so it looks like they haven't sorted out the problem.

Maybe you could try contacting support to see if anything has been done about it.

This is a gaming laptop so you would expect people to upgrade the hdd.