Acer Predator freeze weirdly

foxtail
foxtail Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hello everyone ! Just go my new acer predator 15 g9-593, so far loving it, but i had this issue (twice actually, but only had the computer for 4 days now), when at times it just freeze, black screen (but the keyboard still lit) the fan gets really loud and i have to hard reset, everything works fine after that.

But it's still weird, should i get it back to the store ? The computer is not even hot because i wasnt gaming, just browsing internet. What could be the problem ?

Thanks for the help !

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

update your wifi drivers:

http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/1525-1535-1435bt-w10

check if it still freeze.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • foxtail

Will do, i'll let you know if anything change, thanks !

• foxtail

Well, it did it again (5 days after the last one), the computer was open, and i left it download something, went downstair to do stuff, came back may be 30/45mn after, and black screen, fans full speed, had to hard reset it. May be it has something to do with the fact that the computer is supposed to go to sleep but does not. Other than that the computer works really really well. And i honestly don't want to bother calling the SAV. 

Nobody had this problem ?

Thank you.

• IronFly

Can be an Intel driver issue, you can check if any update is available:

windows logo key + x

Device manager

click on Display adapters

double click on Intel graphic adapter and choose to update drivers

click on Automatically search and let the update run if any

if not, i can suggest you to turn off sleep, in my opinion is not needed on this kind of laptop.

• foxtail

I only have the GTX 1060, what is the real name of the intel graphics card ?

Capture.JPG

Is that it ? :

Capture.JPG

Thank you really much for the help Smiley Happy ps : I actually can't find anything related to intel hd graphics :/ 

• foxtail

It just did it again, went to do the dishes, fan fulls on and had to hard reset it... this is freakin anoying...

• IronFly

do the drivers update on the nvidia GTX

or download the latest from nvidia website:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/118131

Intel is missing since you are using only the discrete graphic not the iGPU.

press number 1 near the P key on the top left side of the keyboard.

can you please check the BIOS version too?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check BIOS version/DATE

if it's lower than 1.09, please update it

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A.zip?acerid=636219667474280808&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-593&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

• foxtail

The version of my bios was V1.08, update was succesfull, it's now at 1.09. Should i install intel hd graphics ? (i think it's the 630 version).

I didnt understand this : "press number 1 near the P key on the top left side of the keyboard."

thanks again, may be i should just close the laptot when i leave, and open it up when i get back. Because other than that the computer works really well.

edit : i've upgraded everything i could upgrade. Hope it will stop the issue.

• IronFly

on your laptop, on the left side of powerbutton, you have programmable keys, normally if you press the number 1, this will switch between integrated and discrete graphic card.

• foxtail

I changed that, to only speed up fans. The others don't do anything.

Edit : went to the setting for the macros, don't have the option to switch GPU. Should i try and install the intel hd graphics myself or is that not necessary ?

Thanks again.

• IronFly

not necessary.

• Hrst94
    Hrst94 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello
    Just saw your post about acer predator 15 freezing with blank screen and fans at full speed. I am having the same problem. It has happened a total of 4 times now and my laptop is 4-5 mnths old. No dust and no heating. As I am writing this, my laptop is stuck and the biggest and most annoying part is that its not even resetting the battery. What am I supposed to do? Have you figured out why this happens and how to solve it?
  • constant22
    constant22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    Had same problem. If you haven't solved the problem yet, try turning of the screensaver. After following various suggestions without any success, since my laptop froze when I left it for a few minutes, I did that and it worked!
  • AedonisM
    AedonisM Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, Guys!

Just bought this unit a couple of days ago, experienced the same issue, brought it back from the store for a replacement, and the replaced unit had the same issue, so I'm guessing that this is a common problem on all of the units, most likely a compatibility issue with Windows 10? Has anyone tried contacting Acer and informed them about this unit and what the fix is? I've updated all of the drivers, etc.. still the same. For now, the alternative fix that solved the problem is for me to remove the lock screen setting everytime the system goes to sleep. Should I take this back to the store and have them ship it back to Acer?

Thanks.
  • Oage
    Oage Member Posts: 4 New User
    foxtail said:

Hello everyone ! Just go my new acer predator 15 g9-593, so far loving it, but i had this issue (twice actually, but only had the computer for 4 days now), when at times it just freeze, black screen (but the keyboard still lit) the fan gets really loud and i have to hard reset, everything works fine after that.

But it's still weird, should i get it back to the store ? The computer is not even hot because i wasnt gaming, just browsing internet. What could be the problem ?

Thanks for the help !

Did anyone found the solutions for this?? I just got a Predator 15 G9-593 and I´m having the exact same issue, even after hard reset I have to close and open the lid and then hit the power button to turn it on.

• Oage
    Oage Member Posts: 4 New User
    Well, just to confirm that updating the nvidia and audio drivers made the deal. It no longer freezes with black screen. 
  • aaronbjorn
    aaronbjorn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Is there any new information to this issue, because I'm suffering from these! :(
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Can you guys try these two options and see if your situation improves.

1. Try disabling "hybrid sleep" option in power settings.
    2. Disable sleep completely, and let laptop hibernate instead? Anyways this laptop wakes up from hibernate pretty quick, so sleep or hibernate shouldn't really matter much in terms of wake up time.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Can you guys try these two options and see if your situation improves.

1. Try disabling "hybrid sleep" option in power settings.
    2. Disable sleep completely, and let laptop hibernate instead? Anyways this laptop wakes up from hibernate pretty quick, so sleep or hibernate shouldn't really matter much in terms of wake up time. 

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Hrst94
    Hrst94 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I had the same issue in 2017. For me, turning off the screen saver and not letting my laptop go to sleep worked. As of now in 2020, I haven't changed those setting still. Screen saver and sleep setting are both turned off. I manually put my PC to sleep if I want using Fn+F4