Acer Predator Helios 300 - Intel HD Graphics bottlenecking the GTX 1060

Masterwar848
Masterwar848 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Somehow, for some reason. The integrated graphics processor is actually bottlenecking my GTX 1060 from doing what it should do, chew on frames.

After setting everything in order to let my GTX process the graphics data, and for the Intel HD Graphics to present it to my screen, there is still a huge bottleneck that really hurts me inside.

In CSGO, while using my laptop screen on a server with no one connected to it but me on a certain map, I get around 250-300 FPS on that map. Connect the laptop to an external monitor using the HDMI port and oh my oh my, I get a 100+ FPS BOOST, 100+!

I haven't tested this on other games, but the fact that there's a 100 FPS difference from having the Intel HD Graphics present the visuals from having the GTX do everything is just absurd.

I'd like to know if there is any possible method to completely shutdown Intel HD Graphics and somehow have the GTX process and present the visuals onto the screen.

External MonitorExternal MonitorLaptop ScreenLaptop Screen

PS: If it's not possible, I'll purchase a proper gaming external monitor so don't suggest that for me.

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hey there, go to your Nvidia control panel (right click desktop usually), go to "Manage 3d Settings" and make sure under 'global settings' that 'Auto-Select' is selected under 'Preferred graphics processor'.

Also one thing you can do to verify your Nvidia gpu is being used is to do this, also in the main Nvidia control panel go up to the top where it says "Desktop" and click on it then click "Display GPU activity Icon". Now a small icon should show up in your taskbar, if it is lit up with colors it means it the 1060 is active (you can hover your mouse over the icon and even click on the icon to show what programs/displays are being used).

Edit: Okay I re-read your post and I may have misunderstood. You can't completely disable the intel HD unless you connect to an external monitor, when you do that the Nvidia will take control of everything.

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hey there, go to your Nvidia control panel (right click desktop usually), go to "Manage 3d Settings" and make sure under 'global settings' that 'Auto-Select' is selected under 'Preferred graphics processor'.

Also one thing you can do to verify your Nvidia gpu is being used is to do this, also in the main Nvidia control panel go up to the top where it says "Desktop" and click on it then click "Display GPU activity Icon". Now a small icon should show up in your taskbar, if it is lit up with colors it means it the 1060 is active (you can hover your mouse over the icon and even click on the icon to show what programs/displays are being used).

Edit: Okay I re-read your post and I may have misunderstood. You can't completely disable the intel HD unless you connect to an external monitor, when you do that the Nvidia will take control of everything.

• Masterwar848
    Masterwar848 Member Posts: 4 New User

I'll sadly have to take that as the solution as I have searched the BIOS as well and found no option to disable the Intel HD. I also tried disabling the device from the device manager and the laptop screen wouldn't switch on at all. Other than CSGO, I'll have to do some benchmarking on other games to see if the difference is that huge as it is in CSGO and if it's worth it for me to invest in a 144 Hz monitor. (I'll probably get that monitor anyways as I'm playing CSGO competitively and the edge that I'll be getting with that monitor will benefit me nontheless.)

Besides that, I honestly think the Predator Helios 300 is a terrible product and shouldn't be named in the Predator category. It's honestly a waste of money if it'll just keep bottlenecking itself when I can probably get more performance out of another laptop of another brand that actually lets me switch to the Nvidia to do all of the work. Let it be cheaper and weaker, I'll still get more performance out of it due to the fact that the bottleneck difference is just huge.

Unless this somehow gets fixed by a new BIOS update (If the Nvidia is at all able to connect to the laptop monitor at all) or a new setting in the Predator Sense which already exists in the full version of it, allowing the external gpu to handle everything, I won't be recommending this device to anyone and I might actually sell it and invest my money in a normal, weak, work-only laptop and a proper gaming desktop.

Thanks for your response though!

• While I agree that it is unfortunate that is does look like the GPU is being bottlenecked, most displays can only display as it is created to do so. I believe on our Predator's it is 60 FPS. Anything above 60 you cannot see anyways.

The laptop is still pushing over 60, so it is still doing what it needs to do.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • airmikee
    airmikee Member Posts: 4 New User
    Wish I had seen this thread before I wasted money on this piece of junk laptop.  What kind of a moronic manufacturer prevents us from disabling worthless Intel graphics?  Acer, that's what kind of moron.
  • DisableIntelGraphics
    DisableIntelGraphics Member Posts: 2 New User
    Guys I know this tread is kind of dead but I just want to ask if Acer updated the BIOS to let us actually disable intel GPU
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2020
    DisableIntelGraphics no you cannot disable the igu its what manages windows through the internal display if you disable it the laptop will not work this is applies to any laptops with igpu/dgpu no matter what manufacturer

airmikee moronic manufacturer loool you should be blaming intel and amd for introducing integrated graphics then if there is a moron here its you sir good luck disabling it on any other manufacturer you should understand the igpu controls windows and the internal display without it the laptop will not work please learn how latotps work first or just get a desktop and your issue is solved good luck :p 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/