Acer Predator G9-793-741K Cpu temperatures high

dairo1
dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, I just bought this laptop a few months ago. I usually play just one game, Dota 2, and when I get into the game, the cpu temperatures just skyrocket. Under load during the game I hit 95 c, on all the cores. This is not a demanding game at all. I have asked the community and they say they dont hit above 50. So it is just me. Before I owned this laptop I had an Acer v17 nitro as well, and the same problems happened. The exact same cpu temps on just this game! I have played other much more demanding games and these temperature problems do not happen. I'm just at a loss. I turn down the resolution, turn all the graphics down real low, to just see if it helps, and it doesn't help at all. I can run the game max at 4k at 100 fps, and it still runs just as hot if I ran it at 1280x720 on low. 

I'm just really confused on why this is happening. I've browsed through the topics here on the subject, but it sounds like thermal paste is the problem with most, but it's just this one game that does it for me. So odd. I probably won't find any answers, because I have lived through this with my Nitro, just this thing was 2 grand and when I see my mother board and cpu temps at 90, and everything else running much cooler something isn't right. 

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

As you have mentioned you might have seen some of my recent posts on this subject.  These are great laptops being let down by the thermal paste being used and hopefully it will get addressed(Acer?).  That said, I think a repasting would be the ideal solution but if you're like me it pains you to open up a brand new unit and take a chance on zorking it...(not likely if your careful)...but I can highly recommend using Intels extreme tuning utility to undervolt your CPU...it's safe and easy to do and I have realized a dramatic drop in cpu temperatures at extreme load to around 80c...that's a 20c drop from where it was...stability if you do it right is not affected at all...believe me I have run this thing through all kinds of tests for stability.

So, if you feel comfortable check out my previously linked videos on how to repaste and do it yourself or just grab the tuning utility from intel and adjust your voltage down.

• dairo1

Ahh it was you! Yes i went browsing around a little more and found that program and youtube video. Undervolted it 0.140, and noticed a nice change in temps! 

Thanks man! 

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Thermal paste is not the real problem. I own a 17X GX-792 and i tried out 3 brands on it: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4. didn't see more than 5C improvement and not at all times. Undervolted -0.120 and i still get 89C. I don't know what the heck to do anymore
  • dairo1

Yah, I get about 89 now on full load undervolting by .140. Better than 97-99 though. 

Honestly, I used to work in R&D, and they test these things super hard, put all products through rigorous testing that they will never see. Even if your laptop stays at 100c for 40 hours straight, it's ok. Was just tired of it blowing out so much **bleep** heat, that 10c really helps. 

Nothing we can do about it. It's something Acer did. However, it's fine. Hell those amd gpu's and processors run **bleep** near the TJmax at all times. 

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I wonder Robitzik if your heatsink is not making good contact with the CPU die?  You should really see the temps drop with some of the pastes you are using.

• Robitzik
    i did investigate this possibility aswell at my second repaste, with a very thin foil of 0.1 mm. there are no contact issues whatsoever. the only thing i noticed after latest repaste and undervolt is that my average CPU frequencies are higher than before, but temps barely got lower
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

What is the advertised frequency on GX-792 on turbo?(you can check by setting the laptop to max performance mode from power management and your CPU will clock to the max frequency). I guess maybe Acer have set the clock speed of turbo way too high and you can't actually reach it because of throttling. But after undervolting the temps went lower so now the CPU works on max speed because no throttling. You can try undervolting it a little bit, even if the frequency reduces ( i know that is not right, as the laptop should be able to work on max speed without throttling).

I am thinking, is it possible that the heatsink itself is deffective? I know it is very unlikely and almost impossible, but if the metal pieces are not joined well, maybe that could affect the heat transfer. Can't think of anything else - the laptop has a perfect cooling system, maybe the heatpipes of the heatsink are not enough (never opened GX models so maybe I am wrong). And last thing, the CPU might be faulty, even though generally faulty CPU's are unlikely to cause overheating. Something is wrong there, but is it a manufacturing or designer's mistake? More likely both.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Robitzik
    The Turbo frequency on the GX-792 7820HK CPU is 4.3 GHz and the 1080 GPU @1911 MHz, although i never keep the device on the Turbo preset, you never have steady 4.3, maybe only when browsing, but ingame, never. GPU temps are awesome and i noticed that the card sits at 1860 MHz with no throttling whatsoever, amazing. There can't be bad joints on the heatsink because it would affect the GPU temps aswell. Undervolted -0.120 on the normal preset and -0.100 on the Turbo, lower than this gives BSOD. Undervolting did gave me -1 or -2 degrees, not that big of a difference at all, it rather raised my average frequencies if it saw it had the temperature headroom. I think this is the way it was designed to work, to keep the CPU hot while pumping as much power and keeping as high freq as possible, but in my opinion it is a bad design regarding stability and reliability, especially when you think that i tested a scenario, where i set the CPU at 3.6 GHz on all cores with an undervolt of -0.120 and got 72C on stress test, not 95C on stock with the CPU barely hitting 3.5 GHz mark. Pretty darn good if you think about it, the CPU still hitting past 2.9 GHz, entering into Turbo mode with 3.6 GHz on all cores with 72C. I think Acer set the power limits too high and the CPU just uses all the available power and heats up, especially being an unlocked processor, that's why i requested soooooo much a bios with OC and voltage settings as it would be mandatory for a K processor. The heatsink and the entire cooling system on this device is amazing, just beautiful and very capable, the laptop would perform incredibly well if they also give it a great bios well optimised and also software wise
  • ven98
    But that is Acer for you. I will never buy an Acer again, because your laptop is still in warranty and they can't bother to update the bios.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• dairo1

Has anyone tried messing with the turbo boost power max, or the processor core icc max on the intel tuning utility? 

• Robitzik
    It is not under warranty, not anymore. Repasted it 3 times till now, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4. There was an already damaged void sticker on one of the heatsink screws, damaged from factory man, can you believe this? What kind of quality control they have man? What if the device would have died on me? No problem, send it in, they will say, well you opened it up, void sticker damaged, warranty lost, pay for repairs, no problem man, no problem. This is Acer in 2017. Good job. I will never buy an Acer again. Great design and performance, poor quality control and reliability. Not for 3000$ please
  • ven98
    Very true do not forget that their services are ***bleep***.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ACEMİ_USTAD
    ACEMİ_USTAD Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    dairo1 said:

Hi, I just bought this laptop a few months ago. I usually play just one game, Dota 2, and when I get into the game, the cpu temperatures just skyrocket. Under load during the game I hit 95 c, on all the cores. This is not a demanding game at all. I have asked the community and they say they dont hit above 50. So it is just me. Before I owned this laptop I had an Acer v17 nitro as well, and the same problems happened. The exact same cpu temps on just this game! I have played other much more demanding games and these temperature problems do not happen. I'm just at a loss. I turn down the resolution, turn all the graphics down real low, to just see if it helps, and it doesn't help at all. I can run the game max at 4k at 100 fps, and it still runs just as hot if I ran it at 1280x720 on low. 

I'm just really confused on why this is happening. I've browsed through the topics here on the subject, but it sounds like thermal paste is the problem with most, but it's just this one game that does it for me. So odd. I probably won't find any answers, because I have lived through this with my Nitro, just this thing was 2 grand and when I see my mother board and cpu temps at 90, and everything else running much cooler something isn't right. 

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

1-maybe there may be a conflict between the game and the driver. try different games.?
    2-high speed , high heat makes. special power mode is useful: https://goo.gl/2FbHFz Acer V17 Nitro 
    3-Fan speed ,must be high ,for gaming (check)
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    ven98 which laptop do you own????
  • Blizzmic
    Blizzmic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Robitzik said:
    The Turbo frequency on the GX-792 7820HK CPU is 4.3 GHz and the 1080 GPU @1911 MHz, although i never keep the device on the Turbo preset, you never have steady 4.3, maybe only when browsing, but ingame, never. GPU temps are awesome and i noticed that the card sits at 1860 MHz with no throttling whatsoever, amazing. There can't be bad joints on the heatsink because it would affect the GPU temps aswell. Undervolted -0.120 on the normal preset and -0.100 on the Turbo, lower than this gives BSOD. Undervolting did gave me -1 or -2 degrees, not that big of a difference at all, it rather raised my average frequencies if it saw it had the temperature headroom. I think this is the way it was designed to work, to keep the CPU hot while pumping as much power and keeping as high freq as possible, but in my opinion it is a bad design regarding stability and reliability, especially when you think that i tested a scenario, where i set the CPU at 3.6 GHz on all cores with an undervolt of -0.120 and got 72C on stress test, not 95C on stock with the CPU barely hitting 3.5 GHz mark. Pretty darn good if you think about it, the CPU still hitting past 2.9 GHz, entering into Turbo mode with 3.6 GHz on all cores with 72C. I think Acer set the power limits too high and the CPU just uses all the available power and heats up, especially being an unlocked processor, that's why i requested soooooo much a bios with OC and voltage settings as it would be mandatory for a K processor. The heatsink and the entire cooling system on this device is amazing, just beautiful and very capable, the laptop would perform incredibly well if they also give it a great bios well optimised and also software wise

This might be a stupid question but that scenario you tested: was that sustainable? That almost sounded like a solution to this issue, I just dropped 3k on the same model as yours and find myself regretting it before it has even arrived.