What files and data can be transferred from sdd to hdd on a Predator G3-710?

Rubydue
Rubydue Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Answers

• Hi,

You can transfer any files/data from SSD to HDD.

• Rubydue
    Rubydue Member Posts: 2 New User

I should have given more info so let me do that now. I purchased this computer for the express purpose of downloading auto racing games. Although I haven't downloaded any yet, I was somewhat taken back to learn that the 256g SSD is the "C" drive while the 1T is the "D" drive with very little data or files located on it. Unfortunately, I downloaded Office Professional and several other apps and was shocked to learn that already 218g of the 256g is now used space. It doesn't leave much room for the racing apps. I "Goggled" a number of websites inquiring as to what was safe to transfer and how to do it safely. Several had info that could have been useful, but I was concerned with one of the websites that said I could "bugger up" my computer so that it wouldn't work as intended. Another said that all apps should be loaded on the SSD and not the HDD. Now, I'm more confused than before and decided to try Acer Customer Support. While looking for contact information, I discovered this forum and thought I would try here first. Is this more helpful to frame your reply?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

Hi,

OK, it's clear to me now, as I am not familiar with gaming, you have to wait for someone else to chime in, sorrySmiley Sad

• bravotango
    bravotango Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello Rubydue. I also had the same question as I just purchased one of these machines and really mystified as to why the main drive is so small and will quickly fill up and become unusable while this other Toshiba drive titled "Data" is sitting there with 2 TB serving no purpose. Although I have only had this machine for a couple of days Data drive is empty. If there is no solution here this is going to be a serious problem very soon as I wanted to reinstall quite a few of the programs off my old drive including flight simulator. I considered copying the entire Acer drive over to the Data drive before going any further and wasting my time.

• bravotango

After sleeping on it maybe it's not as bad as it seems. Perhaps what you do is install a large program on the 1 TB drive in the installation options. I am going to try this next on a dairy program and see if it works. A dairy doesn't need a lot of speed but it's still running under the ssd speed while the main program is on the 1 TB Toshiba drive. Will let yhou know how it works out.

• bravotango

Well that worked. Installed a program called Flie Locator Pro (instead of tjhe dairy) on H:\Data drive and it works perfectly at lightning speed. So it seems Windows 10 is not real fussy where files are located. Later I will try it with the dairy program and then when I feel brave I will install flight simulator. Would be nice if Acer gave us a bit of help with this. Maybe it's time I took the guided tour instead of living in ignorance.