Upgrading the graphics card on an Acer predator G6-710

fabioso
fabioso Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives

Hei,

I want to upgrade my Graphics card on an Acer predator G6-710 from an Asus GeForce GTX 1070 to Asus Geforce GTX 1080 TI Rog poseidon, will it be compatible with the overall configuration of the machine? Is there any issue that i should be aware of, when upgrading to that card?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There are things you should look at. First is whether the graphics card will fit in the case. Is there going to be a component that is likely to be an obstacle for the new GPU and block you from placing it on the MB. Second is your power supply. GTX 1080Ti draws 100W more power than GTX1070, so your power supply should have enough capacity to power up the new GPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There are things you should look at. First is whether the graphics card will fit in the case. Is there going to be a component that is likely to be an obstacle for the new GPU and block you from placing it on the MB. Second is your power supply. GTX 1080Ti draws 100W more power than GTX1070, so your power supply should have enough capacity to power up the new GPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• DUBMARK
    DUBMARK Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Currently installing a GTX 1070 ROG 08g  (triple fan)very tight fit ,recommend you look at cable layout and possible longer SATA cables, will update when fitted. Wifi wire are a pain get in the way a lot.
  • DUBMARK
    DUBMARK Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

UPDATE**** GPU upgrade complete. GTX 970  out GTX 1070 STRIX ROG triple fan in and working , had to reroute SATA cables and motherboard connections . Longer SATA cable required from disc drive to motherboard. Very impressed with new GPU
  • zoobin
    zoobin Member Posts: 2 New User
    DUBMARK said:
    UPDATE**** GPU upgrade complete. GTX 970  out GTX 1070 STRIX ROG triple fan in and working , had to reroute SATA cables and motherboard connections . Longer SATA cable required from disc drive to motherboard. Very impressed with new GPU
    Hello Dubmark,

I am also thinking of upgrading my graphics card.

How did you manage your upgrade?
    Did you have to remove the graphics card support handle for it to fit?
    Also, did you experience any thermal problems?
    I would appreciate it if you could take a photo of your case with the  GTX 1070 STRIX ROG triple fan in it.

Thank you.