Reboot & Select loop. G3-710 kabylake one R2.A0 bios

Predator
Predator Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey everyone, Recently I got the new g3-710 predator tower. 256gb SSD 32gb Ram with i7700 processor.

just over the weekend my computer won't start up and gets stuck on the "reboot & select proper boot device" loop. After reading through the forums and such, I am concluding that some update was pushed onto the machine. By which the machine can't reconqnise the SSD that the Windows 10 is on. I found the proper bios update "R2.A2" which should provide a fix for the issue.

BUT, The USB on which everything is saved on isn't showing up in the uefi "f12" boot menu and i followed the instructions in the appendix. I have another computer on windows 7 that I can use to set up the thumb drive but I need some more instructions i guess. 

what format should the USB thumbdrive be in? I don't get any command prompts coming up as stated in the appendix. Not sure why.

I can't boot my machine passed that window at all so i can't access the cmd prompts for any coding.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, so you are trying to flash BIOS using the EFI method but your USB is not recognised on F12 menu?

plug your USB flash drive on your windows 7 pc, right click on the USB flash drive and choose format, choose FAT32 as format.

once done, copy the EFI folder on the USB flash drive and plug it to your G3-710, try to boot pressing F12.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Predator

Tinkerer

I followed your instructions for the usb setup and got to step 7 on the 'efi flash' instructions. Once i reboot the PC after saving all of the bios settings. I click f12. the same "reboot and select proper boot device" pops up again. nothing else happens between pressing f12 and that screen. also the USB doesn't show up in the Bios boot manager.

• Predator

Tinkerer

prior to starting the bios settings setup, i loaded the default settings. That way nothing I have tried before could have effected the settings.

• Predator

Tinkerer

after changing a few settings in the bios, The USB is showing up in the boot menu. After I choose it, I get a new message saying "an operating system wasn't found. try disconnecting any drives."

• IronFly

Double check that F12 is enabled and press F12 key (try to spam it) just after booting

• Predator

Tinkerer

after i press f12 repeatedly, I get the loading screen. at which i can choose sandisk cruzer 8.02 / P5: toshiba dvd /dr. I choose sandisk cruser and get a follow up message saying an operating system wasn't found. try disconnecting anydrives that don't contain an OS. press any key to restart.

• Predator

Tinkerer

then followed by a reboot / select proper boot device loop

• IronFly

instead of copying the EFI folder, just copy the 2 files on the USB flash drive and try again.

i will ask help from an Acer tech.

• Predator

Tinkerer

So the issue seems to be that my USB flash drive isn't showing up when I have the bios boot menu as "uefi" after boot up/f12 is done. the USB doesn't show up.

If I run boot menu as "legacy" then the flash drive shows up as Sandisk cruzer but won't load the efi. Files on it. I have tried various types of compiling the files onto the flash drive, meaning saving them in and out of the original folder.

I need to figure out the bios settings in a way that will have the flash drive show up as a uefi in the f12 boot menu.

I was thinking that the flash drive wasn't formatted correctly, it is currently as fat32.

Current bios is r2.a0

Thanks you for all the help!
  • IronFly

do you mind to try one thing?

download Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive and run Rufus, set it as on the main page screenshot, apart untick create bootable disk.

then click on start.

once done, copy the needed file to update the BIOS and check if after pressing F12 the USB is recognised (using UEFI not Legacy).