Predator G6-710 Triple monitors resetting constantly

MrBull
MrBull Member Posts: 19 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Predator G6-710 w/NIVIDA GTX970, i7-6700K, 16GB Memory, 64bit.

Running triple monitors, ASUS VP247H-P 24".  1 connected directly to the video card by HDMI, 2x connected through HDMI to MDP Adapter.

PROBLEM:  Playing Fallout 4 on the "center" secondary monitor #2 connected Display Port/HDMI.  The Monitors will randomly reset.  All three will go black, then come back on within 5 seconds, but everytime my game window will move to another monitor.

GAME PLAY INFORMATION:

Game is being played in window mode borderless. 1920x1080, 16:9 widescreen, Ultra settings. Antialiasing TAA Best Quality.

Only other programs being actively run at the time is Predator sense v.1.00.3002, and Firefox v.52.0 32bit.

If I pause my game like I am doing right now, there is no resetting.  It only happens when i am playing the game.

Best Answer

• MrBull
    Answer ✓

Problem found, and the answer is............?

Software settings.

I had to go into the game.ini file.  There I found where the game wanted to place the program.  It is set normally at (iLocation x=1) which means monitor 1, or in my case the far left monitor.

How I found this out is that I was playing fallout 4 last night and suddenly the prgram closed down to the menu bar.  I couldnt get it to come back up to a screen.  I could see it on the menu bar and if I hovered over it, it would show a mini screen of it but I couldnt get it back up to the monitor.  Well with some googling and Fallout Forum reading, I discovered the settings for permenent monitor settings.  I opened the file to find that somehow the computer decided to to place the game at position iLocation x=-32000.  Well thats not right now is it? So I set it to the second monitor by changing the value of x=1920, and now it opens everytime on the second monitor and there is no more black screens and jumping around. 

I hope my continued blogging helps someone else.

Answers

• MrBull

Trial and error.

-If Firefox is open on another monitor the system (video card) will be guaranteed to reset and move programs around to other monitors.

-HEAT!  What I have found is if I keep the fans on high the chances of the system gong black then moving programs around is almost non existant.

-using GPU-z I have noted that the GPU temps get to about 80degrees Celcius  and seem to stay there.

-Clearly this is a GPU issue. 

I have tried to join the Nvidia forms but there seems to be an issue with joining as I cannot create an account.

• MrBull

did a bunch of testing today.

Ran the game with the following running.
    -Firefox
    -Predator Sense
    -Task manager
    -Techpowerup GPU-Z
    -NVidia Control Panel
    -Nexus Mod Manager

2.5 Hours of Play and no issues.

Settings
    -CPU Overclocked
    -Fans on High

Observations
    -CPU Temps steady at 49C
    -GPU Temps 75C-80C
    -GPU Fan speeds 50%
    -System Memory constant 49%-55% usage
    -Fallout 4 Memory usage 3.9-4.2GB average out of System total of 16GB
    -GPU Memory Used 3.1GB out of 4GB

Then the game crashed and the computer said that there was not enough memory available so it closed the game. This is a new one.

• MrBull

COOLING!

Since the system seemed to responding to cooling I did a few more tests and this is what I found out.

With the fans at standard speed and the cpu not overclocked, I was guaranteed to have the black screens activate and eventually do their little dancing of my programs.

The CPU on Turbo and the fans on full speed seemed to help in the fact that the issue didnt happen.  Now keep in mind the temps, CPU "Never Higher Than" (NHT) 60C and GPU NHT 80C on standard cooling.

On full speed, the CPU NHT 49C and the GPU 70-79C.

I have now installed the corsair H80i V2 and placed an additional fan in the front of the case for more cooling.

Current temps with the CPU overclocked in Turbo mode and fans set to Quite mode (Corsair Link stadard speed) the CPU Temp is 27C and the GPU is at 33C.  This is not under load!  Just web usage.  I will update once I have placed the system through prolonged gaming periods on Overclocked.

• MrBull
    Answer ✓

Problem found, and the answer is............?

Software settings.

I had to go into the game.ini file.  There I found where the game wanted to place the program.  It is set normally at (iLocation x=1) which means monitor 1, or in my case the far left monitor.

How I found this out is that I was playing fallout 4 last night and suddenly the prgram closed down to the menu bar.  I couldnt get it to come back up to a screen.  I could see it on the menu bar and if I hovered over it, it would show a mini screen of it but I couldnt get it back up to the monitor.  Well with some googling and Fallout Forum reading, I discovered the settings for permenent monitor settings.  I opened the file to find that somehow the computer decided to to place the game at position iLocation x=-32000.  Well thats not right now is it? So I set it to the second monitor by changing the value of x=1920, and now it opens everytime on the second monitor and there is no more black screens and jumping around. 

I hope my continued blogging helps someone else.

• MrBull

It wasnt the software after all.

It was a power issue.  When I added the liquid cooler and more fans there just was not enough power to push out from the video card to the 3 monitors.

I disabled one of the monitors and now it works great again.

Keep that in mind people.  POWER needs was the eventual problem.  I now have to upgrade to a 1200w PS.