Predator G3-605 black screen on Smart TV / Geforce GTX 1060 6GB compatible?

randysrandy
randysrandy Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives

Hi there. I have an Acer Predator G3-605, Serial: DTSQ YEZ0***
Intel Core i7 4790
NVIDIA GeForce GTX745 4GB
32GB DDR3
Blue ray, 10/100/1000, Card Reader, Windows 8.1 64 bit
https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-predator-g3-605-e-core-i7-4790-3-6-ghz-16-gb-1-256-tb-dtspxaa022/specs/

I want to connect it to a Samsung 65" 7080 SUHD 65" 4K TV (UE65KS7080UXZG), but when I restart the computer, it fails and gives me a black screen (not even bios).

- Computer works: I used the same Acer G3-605 connected to a Samsung 46" TV for years.
- Screen works: The new screen connects instantly and function perfectly with a Toshiba laptop
- Connections are right: If I first start the computer with the smaller screen, then reconnect the new UE65KS7080UXZG screen *without restarting the computer*, the large display works. So the connections are correct, and the hardware is compatible.
- But if I restart the computer when it is connected to the new large screen, I get a black screen.

To try to solve the issue, I bought a new Geforce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, because the newer Acer Predators also have the same card. But when I try to install it, I find only 6 pin power cables inside. When I restart, I get a message: "PLASE POWER DOWN AND CONNCT THE PCIe POWE CABLE(S) FOR ALL GRAPHICS CARDS"

I called Acer support, and they were not helpful: "it should be compatible, but it has not been tested yet"; "You need to take it to a local technician".

So my questions:

1) Why doesn't the Acer just work with the new screen? The G3-605 is not that old.
2) Why doesn't the new card work at all?

Thanks a lot!

Randy

Best Answer

• randysrandy
    Answer ✓

UPDATE:  SOLVED.
    I was able to install the GTX 1060 6GB on a G3-605 i7 4790 just fine. I have a 500W power supply.
    - Be sure to update bios (there were 2 for me). Before I did this, I got a black screen when connecting to an HD TV as a monitor, and the new card did not work.

- Also, combine the 6 & 2 pin power plugs to make one 8 pin plug, or you may get a screen error

Answers

• randysrandy
    Answer ✓

UPDATE:  SOLVED.
    I was able to install the GTX 1060 6GB on a G3-605 i7 4790 just fine. I have a 500W power supply.
    - Be sure to update bios (there were 2 for me). Before I did this, I got a black screen when connecting to an HD TV as a monitor, and the new card did not work.

- Also, combine the 6 & 2 pin power plugs to make one 8 pin plug, or you may get a screen error

• CehYong
    CehYong Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    is it a must to update bios?
    i am planning to upgrade to gtx 1060 also