G6-710 Bios Update R02.A1 for Kaby Lake not working

Kongo-Otto
Kongo-Otto Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello there,

i thought about putting an i7-7700K CPU in my G6-710. Since december 2016 there is an update available for this PC, called "R02.A1". My computer has "R01.A4" flashed. I cannot flash the last update, because AFUWIN told me the "ROMID" does not match. I contacted Acer Support via Chat and they told me my computer is suffering from a hardware defect. I know they can not verify any kind of issues via remote diagnosis so i am not angry about it.

Problem is, my computer is definitely NOT suffering from a hardware defect, i can still flash any bios older than R02.A1 without any issues. There is something wrong with the update they published at the support section. Wrong ROMID usually means its just not for this mainboard. There is a switch in afuwin to ignore the ROMID but after that it tells me "secure flash failed" so its clear that this BIOS does not match the G6-710 motherboard.

I dont know how to tell Acer to check this bios update. There must be something wrong with it but i still want to add a i7-7700k in the future. (I know there could be warranty issues later).

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

R01-xx BIOS can be updated only using R01-xx releases

R02-xx BIOS can be updated only using R02-xx releases

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

normally on Acer BIOS versions a change on first 2 numbers, means a different mainboard revision, so can't be crossflashed.

example:

P01 can't be updated with P11

so i suspect (guessing) that R01 can't be update using R02.

• Kongo-Otto

You might be right. Unfortunately this update shows up when i just search for "G6-710" and when i use my own serial number, too. So Acer Tech should really double check this. I have no idea how to tell them. I talked to their german chat support but that guy had no clue either.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6372?b=1&pn=DT.B1DEG.019

• miklet
    miklet Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Having the same issue on a Acer desktop TC-780

FLASH.BAT worked in October 2016 when I updated the BIOS

Now the Kaby Lake BIOS is out. When I run FLASH.BAT, the command prompt blinks - too fast to see

I crafted my own command string, launched command prompt as admin and ran

my own commandmy own command

This is the result

TC-780_BIOS_fail.JPG

I too would like to install a Kaby Lake, a 3.8 speedster I hope

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

R01-xx BIOS can be updated only using R01-xx releases

R02-xx BIOS can be updated only using R02-xx releases

• Kongo-Otto

I "solved" this issue by buying a new motherboard from a different manufacturer. Of course i cannot use the turbo button anymore but i never did before anyway.

I still have to mention that i am not happy with the Acer support since they did never answer my question and did not even put a small note in their download section to inform customers about bios update limitations. It would be possible to allow Kaby Lake CPUs on first revision Z170 motherboards but Acer does not want to have them supported. That is a bit sad.