G3-710 cpu support

SanteRaptor
SanteRaptor Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello, well my question is about the cpu support. i recently did major changes to my baby g3 icluding a better cooling solution and case change due to major cooling problems and having no way to get the officially supported case fan. The thing is that im a pretty much cpu focused gamer and the 6400 is kinda...not enough. So, im considering a upgrade to i5-6600K and with no intentions on overclocking and from the information ive gathered everything should work. But, i dont know the bios stuff that well. so does it support a i5-6600K if no overclocking is done (kinda dumb question because i know b150 doesnt support overclocking). Just a confirmation that it works, not officially, but that it works. Now that i think about it, i think im asking because im tired and confused. Also the legendary sentence "more pc power means i need more screens and acer screens look kinda cool" just to make sure this aint fully ignored, thanks.

Answers

• Rave
    Rave Member Posts: 3 New User

Have you had any help with that im planning to change to i7 6700 and they dont give a clear answer...

• SanteRaptor

Nothing, its weird isnt it. People buy their gaming machines because theyre big and upgradable, and they still give no info when asked how upgrading could be done, but im 90% sure that you shouldnt upgrade to i7. that can be made to work, but its gonna be extremely difficult and power with that cpu is a problem due to mobo only having official i5 support and only a 4 pin cpu power connector.

• Rave

Not too sure about that, since theres models of this pc with the same mobo (im pretty sure) with the 6700 and 4pin handles upto around 190w and i7 6700 is 
    65w tdp so there shouldnt be a problem

• SanteRaptor

Yes, but i keep to my point of that its less recomended but not impossible in any way, and the fact that i7 price/power ratios are almost always not good, i recomend a higher i5 from the 6000 class. Thats just a friendly advice unless you're doing some extremely heavy cpu load stuff or have way too much money which would confuse me even more due to the fact that you could just buy a much more usable setup for those things and i have no idea what im writing, why do i keep writing these things while being so tired.

• Rave

i5 6400 compared to 6600 difference is really minimal that your getting next to nothing... unless u get 6600k and overclock it to narnia but this board cant oc so i7 6700 would kick *****

• SanteRaptor

Shortly said, wot. 6600K even without overclocking is a great upgrade, to me personally i7 would be way too complicated and risky, but thats just my opinion. Anyways, have fun with that. I'll just get the 6600K.

• IceCooLPT
    IceCooLPT Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, so is it possible to upgrade for i7 6700k ? Will I need another psu? I'm looking for upgrading, possibly motherboard next ( gonna build a new computer ) but has I'm buying piece by piece it would be good to use the processor until I change to the new motherboard.
    Another question, this one about ram, what are the compatible ram to this computer, I could only find the ones from the original pc ram manufacter, and I wanted to upgrade, but in terms of ram I don't know that much. Thanks in advance.
  • SanteRaptor
    Shortly said, the cpu will most likely work due to the fact that from what i quickly found from google its power draw is under the 150w limit given by the 4 pin connector without other problems than the possible bios shenanigans. With the ram i sudgest 2133 (gotta check that to be sure) clocked ram but i do not sudgest using the old ram stick in the system after that due to its low performance and the fact that its probably not combatible with the new stick.
    I also sudgest you to get a aftermarket cooler for the cpu to avoid thermal and noise issues
    If you have more questions, dont be afraid to ask. My life is meaningless and i got time.
  • IceCooLPT
    IceCooLPT Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks for the help.