[G3-605] GPU wattage question.

Adamty
Adamty Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello.

First question: How much Watts should my PSU have for a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X which i'm not planning to Overclock? 

Second question: Will the GPU Overheat and what's the average temperature it should be at?

I'm not a technical genious so try to keep things simple.

Thanks!

//Adamty

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    GTX 1080 consumes 180W, but nvidia recommends to have at least 500W power supply. I checked your PC's specs and it has gtx 760 and it uses 10W less than gtx 1080, so using that GPU won't be a problem.

I doubt the GTX 1080 will overheat. The average temperature can depend on the fan curve, room temperature and the type of load you put on it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    GTX 1080 consumes 180W, but nvidia recommends to have at least 500W power supply. I checked your PC's specs and it has gtx 760 and it uses 10W less than gtx 1080, so using that GPU won't be a problem.

I doubt the GTX 1080 will overheat. The average temperature can depend on the fan curve, room temperature and the type of load you put on it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Adamty
    Adamty Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you so much for the answer! I really appreciate it.

• ven98
    Glad I could help Smiley Happy.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system