BIOS can't detect ssd on my Predator G3-710

Tony6
Tony6 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

3 days ago, my computer started randomly freezing and then rebooting itself. when it rebooted it couldn't start up, but instead i got the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". i just tried rebooting again, and then it turned on. the thing is that this happend like once a week, and then got to once a day, and now its stuck like that. every time i try to reboot i get the same message. I had a backup for all my important files from the hdd, so it wasn't a problem factory resetting the computer or something like that. 

I have been trying to fix this for 2 days with no luck, but today i downloaded the windows 10 tool with another laptop, and then i added it to my usb and booted with the usb from the BIOS. I went through the windows 10 setup and installed it all up again. the computer can turn on now, but there are some other problems now; The bios cant detect my ssd. the windows tool i booted with installed on my hdd, and my ssd isn't at all detected on the computer. When i try to reboot my computer, or at all start it up, it takes 5-10 minutes to start up, and with the windows being installed on the ssd it took me 5 seconds. my bios version is R01-A4.

So all in all, i got two questions; 1.Why cant it detect my ssd? and how can i make it detect it?

2. Im currently running my computer with the windows boot tool, and i want it all to be like when i bought the pc, i tried factory resetting it before today, but it just run the same without the ssd and with the windows boot tool. how can i get it all back like it was when i bought the pc? when i check in bios it should run the hard drive as boot 1, but it says it runs the windows boot tool instead of the hard drive, and when i switch to legacy, it detects the ssd, and then it lets me boot from hard drive, but then the same message pups up "reboot and select proper boot device"

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

i suspect an hardware issue, can be the motherboard  M.2 connector or the SSD itself but it's impossible to nail it without having another SSD to try on your motherboard or the SSD on another laptop/motherboard.

if you are still under warranty, it's time to call Acer support service; if you are out of warranty, take it to a computer repair shop.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

SSD must be recognised, Legacy or UEFI.

if you mean your PC can't boot from the SSD, this is another thing.

so, first thing to do is to check if BIOS can really recognise your SSD (not having it as bootable device).

press Del key at boot to enter BIOS then check under Advanced/Integrated peripherals if SSD is listed on any SATA port.

don't switch to Legacy, your BIOS must work under UEFI.

• Tony6

Hi, thanks for responding Smiley Happy I checked now, and it says that the SATA port 0 (where the ssd should be) is not installed. on the SATA Port 2 it clearly finds the HDD and shows all info about it, i switched to legacy just to see if it would detect it then tho, and it did since is showed the ssd on the SATA port 0. But ya as said when its on UEFI it says its not installed. so what should i do?

• IronFly
    Try to switch cables between hdd and ssd (so hdd will be on sata 0) , check if BIOS see the SSD.
  • Tony6

Okay i'll try that, idk how to do that, but ill figure it out. i'll update you on what happend

• IronFly
    It's really easy.
    I'm really curious why under UEFI the SSD is not visible on BIOS, since legacy or UEFI doesn't matter.
  • Tony6

Hm ya ik, its really wierd

• Tony6
    Hey, i need some help, where is the ssd located inside the pc? I see the sata cable connected to the hdd but i have no idea where the ssd is located
  • IronFly

i just saw that your model has M2280 SSD, so no SATA cable; it's just plugged on your motherboard.

so it's even more strange that UEFI can't find it and Legacy can.

plug back the SATA cable to the HDD.

Since you have already opened your case, unplug the AC cable and take off the CMOS battery (it's the silver rounded battery at the bottom of your motherboard), then press power button twice.

wait 5 minutes and put battery back and replug the cable.

boot to BIOS and check again if the SSD is listed.

• Tony6
    Hi, i did what you said, and now it detected the ssd! Im now trying to boot from the windows boot manager thing
  • Tony6
    Okay so as said i checked bios and it said that SATA port 0 was my ssd, then i booted with the windows tool, and when i got into the pc, it couldnt find the ssd, i went back to the bios and now it says its not installed again. This is so wierd idk what to do
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

i suspect an hardware issue, can be the motherboard  M.2 connector or the SSD itself but it's impossible to nail it without having another SSD to try on your motherboard or the SSD on another laptop/motherboard.

if you are still under warranty, it's time to call Acer support service; if you are out of warranty, take it to a computer repair shop.

• Tony6

Hm ya im under warranty, i'll send it in. but i just think its wierd how it sometimes recognises it and sometimes not

• Tony6

Like is the any iso file i can run or any program that can check the ssd/ other drives and stuff like that

• IronFly

not really if the SSD is not recognised from BIOS.

• Tony6

Okay, thank you soo much for helping me! i checked with the warranly thingy from where i bought it, and i can send the computer in on monday so they can fix it Smiley Happy