Acer Predator 710 proper boot device not found

JereK
JereK Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I just recently bought the computer and it loads up into a black screen that says couldn't find boot device. I've tried to look around and do some research on how to fix this problem and I think it will be fixed by updating the BIOS. How can I update it if I can't boot the computer..?

Answers

• microbrew
    microbrew Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm getting the same error.

Instructions don't seem to be adequate. I downloaded the files, and looked at EFI flash SOP (Standard Operating Procedure?) PDF. I was only successful in disabling Secure Boot and getting the Boot Menu. Doesn't say anything about how to prep the EFI USB thumbdrive, nor does it say how it somehow gets into what looks like the internal EFI shell. Do I just unzip the files on thumbdrive? Or do I need particular folders or filenames? 

I tried using boot menu F12 with a EFI USB thumbdrive with Ubuntu installed, and that works. So it's not the USB drive, or USB port that's the issue.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

yeah, i know, i already asked about the EFI BIOS update procedure but i didn't receive any reply yet.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • LastSamurai
    LastSamurai Member Posts: 3 New User

I just returned a G3-710 to Costco and swapped it out for a new one.

Trying to ***** this in the bud before this one takes a turn too.

I downloaded the file...the WIN.bat file wont load and it looks like the EFI instructions arent going to get me there either.

Can anyone at ACER figure this out for us.  We want to like this computer.

[edited to override word filter]

• LastSamurai

Sorry for the double post but the only thing that will open is the AduWinX64.exe...it opens up a command prompt screen but i dont see any insutructions for this screen in the PDF's.

Not sure what do do with this computer until this gets sorted out.  I really dont want to have to take this one back to costco as well.

• microbrew
    microbrew Member Posts: 2 New User

I used another computer to make a Windows 10 EFI boot USB drive. Booted to it, but didn't do anything. I then took out the USB drive, and was able to reboot to the SSD drive. I have no clue how or why it should work. It was late, I was trying several things with USB drives and EFI - format USB drive to FAT32, and make a directory /efi/boot/ and put bootx64.efi into it - it show up on the boot menu, but since I didn't put anything to boot to, it'll complain there's nothing to boot.

To update the BIOS, go to the Acer Care Center App, click update, and the new BIOS R02-A2 should be available, and you can install using the app.

• LastSamurai

Done.

Way easier than i thought.  It now shows BIOS R02-A2 so I shouldnt have this issue again right?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Acer released new instructions on how to flash G6/G3-710 under EFI enviroment (so by passing the needed of windows OS):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47093#_ga=2.210951069.949315635.1495180387-18205942.1486127738

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rbrewster
    rbrewster Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same problem after using the system a total of 4 hours. Tech support was not much help, as they told me to flash the BIOS, which I already had done. I ended up removing the graphics card and took out the SSD chip, reseat it, replaced graphics card and it worked. Not saying it will work for everyone, but its one more step to try.