ACER G3-710 Driver Update Utility trashed WIN 7 drive

bravotango
bravotango Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have only had this machine for a week and just managed to dual boot my old WIN 7 drive as I need to run programs that are incompatible with WIN 10. I had trouble getting keyboard and mouse to work and just found out how to make the settings in the BIOS.

Unfortunately I also needed USBs to work while in WIN 7 and apart from the keyboard and mouse none of the USBs were working on this PC so I stupidly got sucked in to allowing ACER to promote this terrible utility and as soon as it installed the drivers everything in WIN 7 completely locked including the mouse and keyboard.

I think I have to go the long route now and attempt to use a flash USB to recover a copy of my WIN 7 drive from last week.

Answers

• bravotango
    bravotango Member Posts: 5 New User

Fortunately I didn't have to mess with USB recovery. I fortunately had a full recovery copy from Norton Ghost and I was able to replace the corrupt Windows folder with a good copy. Getting rid of the old folder first was a problem until I found the following two command lines, one to get ownership and the next to grant full permission.

takeown /F "D:\Windows" /R /D Y

icacls "D:\Windows" /grant administrators:F /t