white smoke and melted plastic

julienld
julienld Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi!

My Acer Laptop started to do white smoke and the plastic at the botom left of the screen started to melt. 

I tryed to get some support, but the support website does not seam to work. I have no SNID, only a serial number. 

Is there any way to get simple email or phone help? I live in Quebec, Canada and I have this Aspire 4810TZ for something like 3 or 4 years.

Any clue what yo do?

Thank you,

Julien

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Julien, I'm sorry that this happened to you, Repairing your laptop cannot be done with a software solution. Acer cannot even give you an estimate unless you pay to ship them the damaged machine.

I advise you to take your machine to a reputable computer repair shop. But first, you might want to look at the prices of new laptops. It will probably cost you less money to buy a new machine than repair one that is this badly  damaged.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi there. I would suggest you call Acer before you go to a local shop. Being as your unit nearly caught fire they may want to hear about this and there is a chance they'll still be able to help you. Being as we're in the same region I know that you can reach the Acer line (support technique francophone) at 1-866-706-2237.

• julienld

Thank's

• Waitin
    Waitin Member Posts: 6 New User

Assuming this doesn´t go the way you think it will (google acer customer review, all north american I-hate-acer websites, there´s probably a reason) and you want to do this on the cheap you have 2 choices.

1) Since it´s an older machine but this is a new heat-related problem it might very well be buildup of dust and dirt in your computer. Youtube search for your machines model number and there will likely be video instructions to open it. Follow these, then clean it (vacuum works well) and put back together, still got the problem? You need step 2, but this is good maintenance anyway so no time was wasted. If you don´t feel that confident opening your computer, buy compressed CO2 (really cheap) and just nuke your fan outlets with it.

2) Try and borrow a friends power adaptor if they also have an Acer, maybe it will work even if not an Acer. Power chargers are often generic. Still got the problem?

If you have the problem after both these steps then it´s time to think about a new computer or an expensive repair bill.

• julienld

Acer won't cover it. I will try with the shop I bought it from.

Thank's guys,

JLD

This discussion has been closed.