"No Networks found" issue. Having trouble with the AR5BWB222 Driver for WiFi Adapter. Please Help!

BKneedshelp
BKneedshelp Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello all,

I am in need of your assistance!

so a couple days ago my wifi connection started to play up on my Windows 8 acer V5-552 and i decided to update the driver for the adapter. I did this by unistalling and re-istalling the driver for the Atheros AR5BWB222 adapter which i downloaded from this very acer website (turns out its the same version), now I have no WiFi connection at all (I am currently using ethernet cable but i need to be mobile around the house!). the trouble shooting doesnt help and says "there might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi Adapter" and when I click fix issue it does NOTHING (why do they even give the option?). Did a system restore and that didnt work because of my antivirus and then again nothing when i turned antivirus off. Then i read alot of preveous forum questions about this driver and non of the solutions helped, maybe because everything is from last year.

I would really like to avoide a factory reset as i have some programs on here which will be very hard to aquire again.

If you are still here after my long rant, I am greatfull and also would like your superior knowledge and advice on the matter! Please help me!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Which antivirus program are you having trouble with de-activating? I know some can be stubborn. If the AV program refuses to de-activate with an MSCONFIG selective startup, then you may want to try uninstalling it altogether from the CONTROL PANEL. Then try to restore to the to the previous date again

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

>>>my wifi connection started to play up>>>

Play up? What does this mean? Like acting weird maybe?

>>>I would really like to avoide a factory reset >>>

So why not pick a restore point date to restore your system to the way it was a day or so before you updated the driver?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BKneedshelp

Hi!

By play up i mean that it started to disconnect and re-connect every 10 minutes or so but all other laptops and computers in the house are fine. 

I have also tried the restore point method multiple times but i still get the no networks found message along with this message:

restore error.png

Believe me I'v tried deactivating and uninstalling the antivirus but still get it.

I've now updated the driver so that its version is a little higher than the one Acer give on their site but even that hasn't made a difference!

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Which antivirus program are you having trouble with de-activating? I know some can be stubborn. If the AV program refuses to de-activate with an MSCONFIG selective startup, then you may want to try uninstalling it altogether from the CONTROL PANEL. Then try to restore to the to the previous date again

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BKneedshelp

Problem solved itself! AVG was the culprit! anyway uninstalled pretty much every security program lol then restored to a few days ago before the problem and i stil got the same message, then i re-installed all the security programs and rebooted. NOW I HAVE MY INTERNET CONNECTION!!! I wont touch any driver ever again.

Thanks for your time and advice Jack!

• JackE

>>>I wont touch any driver ever again.>>>

Congrats! I too don't usually try to update drivers unless I'm experiencing specific problems. I got a bunch of recommended driver updates listed for several devices that I feel are working perfectly now (or almost perfectly). So why bother with the updates and chance messing them or something else up? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ