processor upgrade compatibility for aspire switch 11

charae32
charae32 Member Posts: 26 New User
Is there a way to find out which processors are compatible for the acer aspire switch 11 SW5-111-14C9 ? It only has a Intel Atom which I heard is pretty slow.
Thanks

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Q: Is it possible to upgrade my Atom Z3745 processor?
    A: No. BGA microprocessors, like this one, are soldered on a motherboard, as such, upgrading or replacing them is extremely difficult.

Answers

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Q: Is it possible to upgrade my Atom Z3745 processor?
    A: No. BGA microprocessors, like this one, are soldered on a motherboard, as such, upgrading or replacing them is extremely difficult.

• charae32
    Thanks. the ram too?
  • philetus

I haven't found any instance of memory upgrade and Crucial Memory only shows SSD upgrade.Usually if it's upgradable Crucial will list it.

• charae32
    Nevermind. It won't work. I contacted crucial. If I got an SSD or HDD ( will a hdd work? They are cheaper)
    Do you think the laptop speed wold be sufficient? It only has an Intel Atom. With an Intel Atom & only 2 gbs I fear it will be really slow.
  • philetus

If it is a regular 2.5 ssd and Crucial says it is, HDDs are only a bit cheaper unless you want to go into Terrabytes. Since this laptop is more like a big tablet, I'm not sure you can run a mechanical HDD.

• charae32
    Oh really? Well thanks for telling me the hdd probably won't work. I seen some that were really thin . Will it not work because they aren't compatible with HDDs? I'm new to the computer world haha! I'm learning though.

So if I got an ssd with 128- 256 gb do you think the speed would be decent? I won't be doing any gaming or graphic designing. I will just be using it for email, web browsing, Netflix, watching movies, and download music occasionally. I just don't want to be waiting twirling my hair waiting on browser pages to load or for my Netflix to be buffering.
  • charae32
    How about a hybrid drive? Are those compatible with the acer aspire switch ?

Western Digital 750 GB WD Black SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive WD7500BPKX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSUTX3O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ylkLub0376ND5
  • philetus

That is also a mechanical HDD with a SSD drive built in. This is a pretty good deal on Amazon. Free shipping and maybe no tax, depending on where you live.http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-adapter-Internal-CT256MX100SSD1/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=106822CFZ6WSBSS2JAJJ

• charae32

So you think if I got that ssd I would be ok? Or would it not really help because there's only 2 gbs of ram and an Intel Atom processor. 

• philetus

It will give you a lot more room and you can set up more virtual memory which should help a little, but it's never going to be a gaming machine.

• unvaluablespace
    unvaluablespace Member Posts: 4 New User

For the record, can confirm. Ive opened up my Switch 11. Processor definetely soldered to motherboard, as well as memory.