new tabs always blank page with IE11

richard_63
richard_63 Member Posts: 10 New User

since IE11, when i select new tab, it opens a blank page.  i have change the setting in tools/internet options/tabs but when i restarts, it goes back to blank page

Best Answer

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Then if that - command prompt as ADMIN - type SFC /scannow (enter) it takes some time to see if you have corrupt system files... You might need to do this until SFC says no more corrupted files, ( or you can RESET or REFRESH your Windows), or do a Repair install or you can try RESTORE Point and reset back . there are several MALWARE program that will take over your home page... and make it doe funny things... you can also uninstall IE, Reboot, an then reinstall IE that does set it 100% back to MS Default Settings. if your not sure model is needed, OS installed is needed, Windows 7 is different than Windows 8 and still different in Windows 8.1

Answers

• Snuffy
    remove blank page from your home page setting.. also IE has a setting to remove blank page -> internet options -> tabbed browser settings -> there you have 3 choices in the middle of the page (when a new tab is opened: open (your choice) make sure you save all before you leave and if you jam it up you can always reset all back to default.
  • richard_63

i have done all that but as soon as you shutdown or restart, IE11 goes back to blank page for new tab and it is very very frustratrating

• Snuffy
    Answer ✓
    Then if that - command prompt as ADMIN - type SFC /scannow (enter) it takes some time to see if you have corrupt system files... You might need to do this until SFC says no more corrupted files, ( or you can RESET or REFRESH your Windows), or do a Repair install or you can try RESTORE Point and reset back . there are several MALWARE program that will take over your home page... and make it doe funny things... you can also uninstall IE, Reboot, an then reinstall IE that does set it 100% back to MS Default Settings. if your not sure model is needed, OS installed is needed, Windows 7 is different than Windows 8 and still different in Windows 8.1
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Have you any antivirus installed?

Maybe AVG?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • richard_63

I am still doing scannow and there were many files corrupted.....................

• richard_63

Tks Snuffy, lots of corrupted files, fixed a lot but still had many corrupted.i did not want to unistall IE11 and risquing to lose my bar etc.  i did 3 SFC /scannow and it still showed corrupted file.  i saw in my control panel/program and feature that there was an AVG tool bar program.  i tried to unistall it and it would not.  so i deleted every folder i could find AVG in program files and program file(86) and it finally cleared up.

tks for sending me in the right direction

Richard

• Snuffy
    Any time and glad it worked... several very good UNINSTALLERS OUT there. I use REVO and Testing IOBITs Uninstaller also Win8Manager has a good uninstaller. they also do a search to find an remove all reminents. You can also if needed later. logo + c = charms --> settings --> change pc settings --> update& recovery -> click recovery-> refresh or reset
  • IronFly

You welcome.

AVG is famous about this behaviour on IE.

• richard_63

wow, that is above my geek level lol.

i have written your recommendations and will apply as needed. 

merci.

ciao

• richard_63

since the repair and removal of unwanted AVG folders, my deepguard  shield has blocked 4 times the application Spsetup.exe to install on my computer......google says its a virus......what free malware/virus program i could use?

• IronFly

Here a good article about SPsetup.exe and how to remove it:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/search-protect-by-conduit-removal/

Microsoft has a good antivirus:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-all-versions

it's already integrated on Windows 8-8.1, on windows 7 must be downloaded for free, but you already have F-secure that's good.

• Snuffy
    Malware Bytes is very good, and FREE. does a fantastic job (IMO), i install on all clients computers. You might check IOBits FREE version of uninstaller to see if it works for you. Once installed its hard to get rid of. but ctrl + alt opens task manager,-> then you locate AVG all parts and click end task. I recommend you use Windows Defender which does a good job, then MalwareBytes FREE, that is all I use. just pay attention when they tell you what ... also if you not sure use SMART PAGE in IE. http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html make sure you run power scan to find all the rest.
  • richard_63

superb info,,,,,, I tried to turn on windows defender and it won't let me, says to go to action center but i did not see how to turn it on..............

• Snuffy
    You must have a "bad" program that is stopping also control panel - find Windows defender an see if you can turn on that way. reboot an see if it will start auto during reboot. can you get malware bytes install and run a full scan with it..
  • IronFly

If your still have F-secure installed, i doubt you will able to turn on windows defender.

This discussion has been closed.