headphone jack on Aspire E1 laptop not allowing jack all the way in.

broadlighter
broadlighter Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,

I've had my laptop almost a full year and just a few days ago, I found the headphone port would not take my headphone jack in all the way. I used to just plug it in and it worked. Then over this last weekend, I tried plugging in my earbuds and the port would just push it back out. I could hold the jack in with my hand and get audio, though that's becoming more difficult.

I think the problem is with the port and not the jack because I can plug the same jack into my mobile phone and it seats. I also tried the same thing with my old headset and the port would push it back out. Plug it into my mobilephone and the jack snaps in like it's supposed to.

Is there a way to check if the port is out of alignment? If so could it be re-aligned or do I have to replace it?

Thanks,

John  H.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Just inside the headphone and mic ports, you should be able to see a black plastic or annular ring. This ring material usually holds the plug in place by friction against the slightly larger metal ring at the base of the plug's pin. This black annular ring might've dropped out of the port and rolled on the floor somewhere. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• broadlighter

Thanks Jack,

Not sure if I can even find the ring, but even if I did, I would have no guarantee that it would stay in the port.

Is there a way to replace the port?

Thanks,

John H.

• JackE

Hi John. If the port works OK by keeping it in place with steady pressure, there's really nothing electrically wrong with it that would justify the risk of trying to replace it. Usually soldered in. At this point, it seems like you just have a mechanical annoyance that might be fixable without resorting to such drastic measures. Can you perhaps see any difference between the appearance of the headphone & mic ports? You might have to use a flashlight to peer into them. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• broadlighter

Jack, on this model there is only one port; there are no separate ports for headphones and microphones. The mike is built into the laptop casing. I looked at the port with a magnifying glass and flashlight. I've never looked at it that way up close, so I don't know what it was supposed to look like. However, it looks like all metal with a bevel outside the entry wall. Maybe there was a thin rubber ring there at one time.

If you have access to an Aspire E1, you can check to see if a rubber ring is indeed there, then it might be a matter of replacing the ring.

• JackE

John, I have a transceiver with the same problem.  A single port with a 4-section pin plug, like a cellphone, that handles both mic and headphone functions. But the rubber annular ring on the port somehow popped out, never to be found again. While inelegant, rigging a rubber band to hold the plug in the port solved the problem for me. I'll admit, trying to do so on a laptop might be a lot more inelegant. I'm not sure if your port opening can accept it, but you might want to try to fit a small o-ring around the pin to see if it'll hold the plug in the port.

Jack E/NJ       

Jack E/NJ

• broadlighter

Thanks Jack,

I'm trying the rubber band approach without much success. Where can I find an o-ring? I'll probably have to look around at Radio Shack or Best Buy to find out.

JH

• JackE

Autozone. They have both metric and SAE o-ring kits with many different sizes. Usually can be found in the Dorman dood-dad section of hard to find auto parts --- like door handles, miscellaneous odd size screws, small springs, etc. Home Depot and Lowes also have o-rings in the sink and faucet parts areas but they're usually not small enough and pricier. You'll have to look at them to see what might work for you.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• broadlighter

Thanks, I'll check those sources.

John

• JackE

John---

Just found the perfect o-ring for your plug pin. And you probably already have one around the house. Wire insulation. Just strip it off a wire with approximate diameter of your pin. Then cut the insulation to size with a razor blade and fit it over your plug pin. You may have to roughen in up a bit on the surface to enhance holding friction. Works great on my radio. I got rid of the rubber band holding the plug in.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• immer133_4
    immer133_4 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a aspire E 15 touch I cannot fine the plug hole for my ear buds I am 73 ND MY HEARING IS NOT GOOD  can you please help me I have looked for over a year , also where can I go to see my laptop and all its features on line?

it did not come with all that information.

thank you for your time 

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]