Topic

New Contributor
PilotDave

eRecovery Management - Need Some Help

I am helping a friend with his Acer Aspire One (Model AO722). We are trying to restore the original OS and software using eRecovery Management. We launched eRM and all went well until we reached step 22/38 called "Installing Office 2010". This step has been running for over 4 hours at this point. All I can see happening is the series of 1-2-3 dots. No error messages. Screen says "Your software is being installed. Please connect the power cable and do not turn off your computer."

I have two questions:

1. Is this normal or is the process hung?

2. Can I restart the process using Alt-F10 by restarting the notebook?

Thanks very much for your help!

Dave

Pioneer
JackE

Re: eRecovery Management - Need Some Help

[ Edited ]

Normal? No. Can you restart, sure. But first, Is there an option on the install screen to simply skip or cancel the office installation? It's not a full version anyway.

Jack E/NJ

PS: Sent from my AO722 8^)

New Contributor
PilotDave

Thanks for the encouraging words!

The reinstall has now been hung at the Office 2010 step for about 14 hours.

There are no options offered on the screen. I'd love to skip over it but don't see any way to do that.

Dave

Pioneer
finlux

Hi Dave

Press Windows Key & R to bring up the Run box, then type:

MSCONFIG

Now select the Startup tab on the Window. Look for an entry called AlaunchX. Untick/Uncheck the entry then click Apply/OK. Restart your computer. It will now startup normally without trying to install Office Starter.

There may also be a possibility that other drivers or applications will not have installed. You can check out Device Manager to ensure all drivers are OK, if not they can be obtained via the Acer support site or your AppDrv disk (if you made one!).

Hope this helps

New Contributor
PilotDave

Finlux, thanks very much for your suggestions.

Pressing Windows key & R very briefly brings up the Run box. But it vanishes before I can type anything! Then the Reinstall process reappears, stalled at the same spot.

I tried Cntl-Alt-Del and that allowed me to start Task Manager - but it also vanishes before I can use it to shut down the Reinstall process....which immediately reappears on the screen, stalled at the same spot.

I should mention that this computer is running Windows 7, Home Premium edition. Don't know if that matters. Also, I have no disk drive available!

Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Dave

Pioneer
finlux

[ Edited ]

That's a new one!

OK, type in MSCONFIG in the start menu search box and click on the result. Then try what I suggested in my previous post.

You can also access Drivers & Applications by going to Start>All Programs>Acer>Acer eRecovery Management. Click on "Restore" left hand pane, then click the "Reinstall Drivers or Applications" option.

New Contributor
PilotDave

finlux - thanks again.

I can't get the Start box to stay open long enough to do anything - it comes up momentarily when I press the Windows key, then vanishes instantly and is replaced by the Reinstall process screen. Apparently the Reinstall process has total control!

Is there some way I can stop the Reinstall so I can work with the machine?

Thanks

Dave

Pioneer
finlux

OK - Startup in safe mode - Restart then as soon as you see the Acer logo press & tap F8, and select the safe mode option. This will boot up using selected drivers/programs and should allow you to use MSCONFIG to disable AlaunchX....

New Contributor
PilotDave

finlux, I have tried this. I get an error message that tells me "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer." My only option was to press Enter - and the computer restarted and brought me right back to that Reinstall process.

Now what?

And thanks!

Pioneer
finlux

This is a tricky one!

The install may have gone wrong somewhere along the way. I think the best thing is to repeat the re-installation (ALT & F10 on startup) to see if a second try fixes the issue.

Did you know? Acer Community is also available in the following languages: