acer aspire e1-531-2686 laptop

chrisfeda
chrisfeda Member Posts: 7 New User

i was looking for a good laptop to start law school and was wondering if that is a good one.  anyone have any reviews or heard anything about it?  its hard to find info from the internet on that model.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Red-Aspire-E-E1-531-2686-15.6-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Celeron-1000M-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-Bit/25863498

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Chris, this is a dumbed-down version of an excellent laptop. Any machine with a celeron chip probably has the cheapest possible parts put elsewhere as well. The original version is sold in Britain for less than the dumbed-down version is sold for in the US.

My advice? Translated into American English, the phrase "Celeron chip" means "walk away and don't look back."

• wormcake
    wormcake Member Posts: 9 New User

That's very interesting, Vince53. Sad too. What model is it in the UK that's so superior and cheaper btw?

Also, this is what I thought just as a gut reaction looking at laptops this summer. However, all the reviews seem to say "surprisingly snappy" etc. I'm looking at this for someone who will not be doing anything GUI intensive, more like Excel spreadsheet intensive.

The other issue currently in the laptop market is: WIndows 7 carries a premium! It's really sad that Windows 8 has had such an effect that it actually drives the price of Windows 7 laptops up above windows 8 Laptops. In fact, you can get a superior windows 8 laptop for substantially less than a windows 7 version would cost. In my glancing at online markets like

'zon and 'egg, It seems like you're paying about 100 USD premium to keep windows 7 on a slightly inferior (spec-wise) machine!

This discussion has been closed.