acer aspire 5750zg audio problem

Linalina
Linalina Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi , I have an acer aspire 5750zg  and until recently I decided to connect it up to my stereo amplifier but only have one speaker working .. so I connected my headphones to the laptop jack and the same problem , only one speaker working,  the left one , the right one does not work even when tested with the windows 7 speaker configuration utility.  The funny thing is that laptop speakers both work fine . Have tried installing and reinstalling the drivers but the same problem. I hope there is a solution as its vey frustrating not having stereo out of the headphone jack. I have only used the jack a couple of times before I noticed only one speaker working as its got great sound quality ' dolby advanced audio'. 

help would be much appreciated Smiley Happy   many thanks in advance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

When you plug the headphone jack in, can you still hear either of the laptop speakers at the same time? Does your speaker tray icon show that headphones are plugged in? Have you checked device mgr to see if there are any device failures or warnings highlighted?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Linalina

yes the laptop speakers are nulled (no sound) and

..no I get no speaker tray icon notification showing that headphones are plugged in and

..there are no  device failures or warnings highlighted?

thank you very much ...  I am beginning to think it might be a hardware failure ..

• JackE

Do you also have a separate microphone jack? If not, you need a special splitter for the headphones to properly operate and be detected. If you do have separate headphone and mic jacks, I suggest trying another set of headphones. BTW, sometimes it may take a minute or so for your headphones to be properly detected, and the headphone icon to appear in the audio  tray. Once you see the headphone icon, you should get decent stereo quality output in the headphones.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Linalina

yes there is a seperate mic jack...I have also tried other headphones ...I get no notifications when I plug in to any of the jacks

many thanks for your prompt heelp

• JackE

OK, another possibility since you mentioned the quality was poor on the one side. Most stereo headphones for mobile devices are cheaply made and have a very high impedance --- 32 ohms --- usually listed as a printed spec on the package when you buy it. Higher quality, more costly (~$20) stereo headphones have either 8 or 16 ohm impedance and would be more easily detected. You might want to check those out and make sure their stereo (3-section) plugs are fully inserted in the headphone jack.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Linalina

Many Thanks  ..JackE ! ,,  I get what you are saying and agree.. but what I really want to use my laptop for is I have XBMC and tune into some of the movies  and music and want to play it through my stereo amplifier speaker system via  a stereo jack from my acer to rca on my amp... so you see I am still getting only one speaker working through my amp..  as well

..I think the only option I have is go return it to ACER for service.. if it can be fixed ( or is it a driver problem ) and believe me I struggled through drivers from both realtech and the ones from Acer site

many thanks again  Smiley Happy

• JackE

>>>I am still getting only one speaker working through my amp..  as well..I think the only option I have is go return it to ACER for service>>>

Yes, I agree if your pre-amp isn't properly being detected either by the jack. Are you still within the warranty period?

In the interim, you might want to HDMI out to a TV to watch and hear your movies in stereo. That's how I usually do it.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Linalina

thanks for your help ...much appreciated, I was wondering if you can split the hdmi into its components or does it require some sort of device to get the audio out to my amp..? 

• JackE

I recommended TV audio out to feed your amp. Don't mess with the HDMI connection.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Linalina

I have tried some other drivers lately from realtech site just for the (basic) ALC269) chipset .. they sort of work on my amp I got the stereo working (both speakers) .. but when I plug in headphones I only get one speaker again.. then at times there is no audio at all and I have to reboot to get audio again ..!!  its driving me CRAZY !!

'It is still under warranty' .. I am just wondering if its worth sending back for repairs for the preamp you suggested could be the prob ..or is it a driver problem that this model has because the Dolby advance audio drivers from the acer site or from my driver cd that came with the laptop have this 1 channel only problem ...

thanks again ... your suggestions are much appreciated

• JackE

Before thinking about sending it back, let's try a few more things.

Since you get sound from both internal speakers but only from one external speaker when using the speaker jack, I have a hunch that the speaker jack might be a speaker/mic integrated combo even though you have a separate mic jack.

So could you please peer into the speaker jack with a bright flashlight or penlight and count the number copper-colored metal contacts you can see that line the inside circumference of the jack. Two would be normal. However, if you count three contacts, the jack is likely an integrated unit which requires a special 4-element miniplug.

Report back

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.