Windows forced update to 8.1, now I can't update drivers or run Broadcom drivers.

flyboy3of4
flyboy3of4 Member Posts: 13 New User

After a forced (and unwanted) update to Windows 8.1, I lost my wireless bluetooth speaker via laptop. Tech friends and myself tried all 'solutions' found online. Finally connected remote tech help via Kinivo. After 48 minutes of educated trial and error the Kinivo support tech said:

"Ok, it seems that there is a problem with your driver software that only Acer can fix. It will not let us update the drivers or even run the Broadcom drivers."

Soooooooooooooo, Acer. What next? I'd really like to get back the use of my wireless speaker!

I noticed that Acer website support tab leads to a chart of updates. BIOS tab offers an update but it comes with a red-letter warning that I dare not violate. :-/

Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this issue. It seems to be a problem across the board.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Your laptop model?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • flyboy3of4

I should know better...doh.

Acer Aspire v5-571p Windows 8.1/64-bit

• IronFly

ok, which BT Broadcom drivers are installed now?

on device manager do you have any yellow exclamation mark?

by the way, if you want to try to update BIOS, keep in mind that the latest is only for laptop with windows 8.x from factory, so if your had windows 7, that update is not available.

• flyboy3of4

Ok, BT Broadcom drivers are not installed now - at least they are not listed as an option for

Bluetooth Device.

Troubleshooting:

Atheros AR9462 Bluetooth 4.0 + HS has a driver problem. Not Fixed. Red circle X.

Hardware changes might not have been detected. Detected. Yellow exclamation mark.

Laptop was purchased Fall of 2013 with windows 8 installed.

• flyboy3of4

that is the download I have now. Kinivo attempted to use Broadcom download when Atheros didn't work, but Broadcom didn't work either.

• IronFly

Broadcom can't be installed on your laptop, since you have Atheros BT adapter.

if you run the Atheros installer, you still have the exclamation mark on device manager?

• flyboy3of4

"if you run the Atheros installer, you still have the exclamation mark on device manager?"

I ran the troubleshooter with Atheros already installed and listed in the tree as the bluetooth device available (just after you asked about the exclamation mark).

• IronFly

flyboy3of4...please run the Atheros installer, not the troubleshooter.

• flyboy3of4

We/I/Tech have tried installing the Atheros several times with the same (insane) resulting exclamation mark. Smiley Happy

• flyboy3of4

Is there a different way to do this besides removing all bluetooth device files and downloading Atheros file and running the .exe from the zip extration? Perhaps I'm missing a step?

• IronFly

ok, uninstall the Acer Atheros drivers, then on device manager right click on Atheros BT device and choose uninstall, reboot your laptop.

Download this Atheros drivers (100%trustable websiter):

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/1209/

try to install, reboot and check again on device manager.

• flyboy3of4

ok ... will do that and report back ... thank you

• flyboy3of4

Device Manager isn't finding any bluetooth device now.

I followed instructions you gave, and had to search for the Bluetooth installer file after the extraction from download file. Since nothing was showing up anywhere after it did it's thing, I looked for a .exe file and found one in the Drivers folder. Apparently clicking that one didn't do anything either.

I don't know why this has to be so difficult for everyone using 8.1 ... c'mon Microsoft!! It's a simple bluetooth driver!!

ok, ACE, if you know that it's my brain misfiring on this please give me a clue.

• IronFly

if i double click the .exe file, it extract Bluetooth_Suite.EXE

no drivers folder or anything else.

• flyboy3of4

"if i double click the .exe file, it extract Bluetooth_Suite.EXE

no drivers folder or anything else."

I went through the entire process several times. It doesn't do or recognize anything after 'installing' and reboot.

What folder should these files be extracted into? Maybe it's not in the right place. Currently the files are here:

This PC > Acer (C: ) > Program Files (x86) > Bluetooth Suite

• IronFly

can you check on device manager, click on view tab, select show hidden devices and see if the bluetooth adapter appears.

check also on windows services if bluetooth service is running and set on autostart

windows key logo + r

type

services.msc

press enter

• IronFly

i'm checking another driver package.

• IronFly

if i run the bluetooth suite, i see the Atheros/Qualcomm installer run, you don't need to do anything else.

ok, i think we need to go back to Acer home. Smiley Happy

uninstall the Qualcomm/atheros drivers i told you to download and then download the Acer atheros BT drivers:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_Atheros_v8.0.1.314_W81x64W8x64_A.zip?acerid=635252810810081941&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V5-571P&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

unzip it then unzip only BT_DriverOnly.zip and browse to:

driver only\drivers_Win8.1\production\Windows8.1-x64\Bluetooth-Driver\

run

btatherosInstall.exe

reboot

let me know if it works

• flyboy3of4

thanks .. when I used the view tab to display hidden it listed Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator.

I'll do the different dowload now ..