V5-571p keyboard issue when switching profiles

danvonderheide
danvonderheide Member Posts: 3 New User
It seems like after I upgraded to 8.1 a few months ago, the physical keyboard on my laptop found a bug. It works just fine until you try to switch profiles, then it stops working. I'm unable to key in any characters using the physical keyboard, but the touchscreen board works. If I try to switch profiles, then restart the machine, the keyboard then magically works again for that profile - - - until I try to switch again. Every time we want to switch users, we're forced to restart the machine. Very troublesome. Who can help a guy out?

Answers

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter

Each profile has the ability to set it's keyboard and the Administrator has the ability to set all profiles to a default setting.

Go to control panel-->Region-->Administrative and/or Keyboards.

• danvonderheide

Thanks for your reply. Each user actually CAN use the physical keyboard, but only after the system is restarted and then logged in to that profile. The keyboard will then stop working if and when an attempt is made to switch the profile. 

I've checked the drivers using IOBit Driver Booster so I'm good there. Any other ideas?

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter

Yes, it's sounds like both profiles are in charge of administrative duties of their prospective keyboards. Go to that Regions-->Administrative we discussed, Administrative tab--> copy settings. See if the welcome screen and new user boxes are checked.  There's some helpfile links there too that might be informative.

• danvonderheide

I have to tell you - I've just been living with this problem since it began. I'm really at my wits end with it. I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 two days ago. IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR ONE DAY. As soon as a forced update came down, this started happening again.

I seriously looked all over for the solution the other poster here has provided, but there is nothing in the regions>administrative section that controls keyboards except for what language I'm trying to use.

Here's a screenshot of what I see. WHAT AM I MISSING?

RegionKeyboardAdmin.png