Upgrading V5-561 to most recent Intel driver Chipset

vexatiousguy
vexatiousguy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

The acer intel driver on the V5-561-6607 is outdated and needs to be updated in order to run some programs that need GPU rendering. According to Intel's Download center, the newest driver update for Intel HD graphics 4400 was of 10/03/2014 while the Acer Intel Driver chip was last updated 2014/01/06. Installing a generic video driver is not recommended by intel since Acer uses a custom video driver. Might I ask the following questions:

1.) Why does acer use a custom video card driver for computers without dual video cards? (I assume it is because of the "turbo boost" feature)

2.) May I install the generic intel driver to the V5-561 (has anyone tried?)

3.) If this is not safe, why hasn't acer updated it's video driver? Clearly they have updated the other drivers (ie wireless lan chipset)

I am asking this because the Intel Video driver is crashing upon running PhotoshopCC with GPU acceleration

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You can try the Intel VGA drives, just remember to uninstall the Acer/Intel driver first.

in the worst case, you can uninstall the latest Intel drivers and reinstall the Acer/Intel without problems.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • vexatiousguy
    vexatiousguy Member Posts: 2 New User

Sounds fair; would I uninstall the acer driver from device manager as I would with the intel driver?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Yes.

I'm not an Acer employee.