Unknown files

justinjmartin72
justinjmartin72 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi I have an acer Aspire E1-571 Intel Core i5 laptop and in my documents folder I have discovered these three dll files:

NTILiveUpdateV9.dll

NTIMMV9Acer.dll

NTIMMV9REGET.dll

Could someone tell me what they are, if they should be where they are, and if they can be deleted. 

Thanks

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

The first one is a virus designed to keep you from accepting updates.

• Vince53

The second one is a virus that masquerades as an Acer file.

• Vince53

The third one appears to be an unsuccessful virus. All three connect to legitimate Windows files and corrupt them. On their own, they appear to be harmless--.dll files are shared by different programs.

It appears that your antivirus successfully caught and rejected these files. You should delete them, and to be safe, run a deep scan with your antivirus program. This type of virus is installed a piece at a time, and they can often get past security scans because they are harmless on their own.

Off the cuff, I also recommend the free Malwarebytes, which does not interfere with any antivirus program, including Windows Defender. The first time I did a deep scan with it, it detected 1100 unwanted items.

Some registry cleaners delete valuable files and you have to reformat. The free CCleaner does not dig that deep, and about once a week I will delete about 15 files with CCleaner. It has never harmed my computer, but remember that it doesn't dig deep.

This discussion has been closed.