Travelmate P645 - Cable and ppkastic tray to install the HDD

Starflex78
Starflex78 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi there!

I am considering the purchase of a Travelmate P645, as I totally love the idea of having a compact laptop, decently powerful and with a second hard drive.

However, I would go for a model with initially only the SSD installed and put the additional, "traditional" hard drive on my own.

From some reviews on Internet,I nooticed that I need two acccessories:

- One cable to connect the HDD to the Molex connector on the motheroard;

- A kind of bubber/plastic tray to support and keep the hard drive in the tray (I guess, also to dump the vibrations/reduce the shocks.

Is there any way to find the codes to order the additional parts ? Has someone opened its own P645 and kept somewhat record of the codes ?

Thank you!

Answers

• stevey500
    stevey500 Member Posts: 3 New User

This has been done and it DOES work! I have read that people have installed a secondary 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD successfuly.

Apparently the connector is very common on later Acer computers, a search of "acer sata cable" will bring you to the right part. The cabled used in the P645V (the model that comes with a hdd instead of SSD) is the exact cable you need. On other forums, I read that a 2.5" hdd or SSD fits very snug without a caddy. Using some kind of rubber material/tape to do a DIY install couldn't be too tough to do.