Touchpad not working on newly purchased Aspire E3-111

Bobdweller
Bobdweller Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,

Today I bought an Acer Aspire E3-111 notebook as a birthday gift for my mom. I've spent the night upgrading it to Windows 8.1 and installing all drivers, updates and general programs.

Everything works fine, except for the touchpad. I've plugged in a usb mouse and it works as it should. The Synaptics Touchpad driver was also installed without any issues. The thing is, however, that even though after the installation for the driver completes successfully and it says the device is ready for use, there is no icon for it in the Control Panel and it is not listed anywhere as an installed device.

I've tried everything and nothing seems to work: pressing the Fn+F1-F12 keys to disable/enable the touchpad; installing a driver from Synaptics' website directly (gave me an error); running Microsoft's Hardware Troubleshooting Wizard, etc.

It's just mind boggling, really.

Any ideas? Or would I have to bring the little guy in for service already?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads or responds to my query.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Hi...

Disconect the external mouse and power OFF the computer and  perform a reset using the battery pinhole at the bottom of your computer. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds to reset the computer. then power ON the computer check if the touchpad is working. If still not working you may tap only the F7 key and check if the touch pad is working. You may also try Fn+F7 one again.

If the mouse still doesn't respond, you may try restoring the driver in Acer erecovery management
    Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key to open the Start screen. Type Recovery in the search box.
    Click Acer Recovery Management in the search results. Click Reinstall Drivers or Applications.
    On the Contents tab, locate the driver or application you wish to install and click the Install icon.
    Follow the prompts to install the driver or application.

• Bobdweller

Hey Sharanji,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my thread and offer these solutions.

Sadly, none of them worked, I am afraid.

My laptop did not actually come pre-installed with any OS, so I installed Windows 8.1 from a USB flash drive. I tried searching for the Acer Recovery Managament, but it was nowhere to be found. Is there anywhere I can download this tool from?

Other than that, I think the problem might be a hardware one, because when I tried to install Windows, the touchpad did not work either. In my experience with laptops, the touchpad always works, while the driver only adds additional responsiveness and settings for it in the actual OS. Not only did the touchpad not work from the start, but installing the drivers did not add any entries in the Device Manager or Control Panel.

Any other suggestions or ideas will be very welcome!

Thanks!

• Bobdweller

Yes, I have tried downloading and installing drivers from Acer's website, the resource DVD that came with the laptop and Synaptic's website. Neither seemed to work.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,100 Trailblazer

Could be a faulty product, if you have bought it recently, try getting replaced or get refund and don't get settled for a repair.

• Bobdweller

That really seems like my best option at the moment. I'll call the place I bought it from today and ask for a replacement. Thansk for everyone's help! I appreciate it! Smiley Happy

• Awry
    Awry Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

got exactly the same problem. Works fine on win7, but not on win8.1. Looks like Acer schold fix the driver, it doesn't work! And that makes the notebook unusable, because you can't get it properly running on win7 due to win8.1 support only, and you can't use the touchpad on win8.1. Any ideas?

Regards.

• Bobdweller

Hi there,

I actually took my laptop to service and after the guys there checked on it, they enlightened me that the reason the driver didn't work initially was due to the ordef of which I was installing it.

Your best option would be to make an .ISO of your Acer Resource DVD and then run it on the laptop using Daemon Tools. That way you can use the autorun menu to install all drivers in the correct order automatically and all should be well.

As far as I have been told, the laptop needs to have the chipset drivers installed before the Touchpad driver can work.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.