Should i upgrade my aspire R7! you Decide! money talks but chocolate sings!! help me x

Foxy-lucy
Foxy-lucy Member Posts: 22 New User

Hi guys x 

I was hoping to get some advice from an expert regarding my new purchase, 

Acer Aspire R7 Review - Windows Convertible Tablets and Notebook Reviews by MobileTechReview

It’s a freaky looking laptop / tablet and perfect design for my personal needs. I’m in love with the design and can’t wait to get it. 

My background is fashion and not laptops that why I’m here to learn, I have decided to upgrade the system, 

I’m going to purchase the 8gb ram stick below, I was hoping someone could tell me if upgrading the ram would be something I could do personally, I would remove the 2gb stick and it would give me a free slot for the 8gb, I have never opened a laptop before or did anything like it but I did check YouTube and there is a billion videos showing how to upgrade ram which look simple enough,

in the mobile tech review link above it shows the insides of the laptop, can someone with experience tell me if the ram is easy to get to, also regarding the setup would I need to go into BIOS to update ram or will this be automatic, not that I know how to do that but just read some place it needs to be done sometimes, I was hoping the machine would pick it up itself. 

HyperX Genesis 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Notebook Dual Channel Memory, this is the model I’m going for,, from my research it’s what is required, I just don’t understand if the dual channel part & non ECC matters at all, do they effect the ram being accepted by the laptop, only thing I’m worried about is it being excepted cause of brand and as I know spec is right,

Amazon.com : HyperX Genesis 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Notebook Dual Channel Memory KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX : Computer Memory : Electronics

The ram part I’m sure I can do if some guidance from some nice people here. 
The next part is where it gets complicated and it’s out of my league, 
I would like to upgrade the normal hard drive to a 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive.

The machine already comes with a 24gb msata caching SSD,
it’s just for caching, so I wanted to know if by taking out the main 500gb hard drive I can have the 256gb ssd or is that not possible having the SSd with the 24gb caching SSD. 

256 gb SSD is more than enough space for me as I put most stuff on dropbox and cloud so no need for big harddrive. 

I would get an expert to do this part problem is being out in Dubai I can’t trust anyone to do it out of my sight from bad experiences before, so I’m having come to my house to do the upgrades so nothing can go missing or get changed, 

From what I understand a recovery cd needs to be made from current setup as it’s a win 8 system,
I have a new win 8 boxed so would go for a clean install but since with win8 you can only install over another version win 8 a recovery disk is still needed?!! ( researched but not no personal experience)
Or do the below, 
i wanted to know which is better what the chris from the fourm advised below or go with the cd option, i do have other laptops with USB 3 ports if that makes any difference and external HD with usb 3.0 data transfer.   

Before swapping drives, make an OS recovery drive - you'll need a usb drive with at least 16gb of storage. I used a sata to usb adapter and an old sata drive. Then install easeus todo backup, a free drive cloning utility. Clone the drive over to the ssd (for example by using a usb to sata adapter). Then swap the drives.’

I wanted to know if the IT guys here can mess up my system or damage it doing this and is it worth the performance gain to put in the Samsung SSD considering there is 24gb of caching SSD.

I would keep the machine for 3 years if I have upgrade to SSD if not then I would sell it 15 months and get the same model with the update spec. 

can someone let me know which option is better, only upgrade the ram or do the SSD and keep the machine for a longer time. i just want a really fast machine as i will be using the tablet on the go from place to place just normal tasks no games or anything but i got an SSD laptop and im scared of losing the speed i have now. 

I only paid 750$ for the machine brand new so saved about 250$ already.

If some that understand these issue can help me out I would really appreciate your advice.
sorry to go on, really had to get it off my chest and hope someone can guide me.

if anybody has the R7 and plans to do these upgrades please stick them on youtube!! i would pay someone to make a video making these changes so i could do it myself!! Pm if your interested.

thank 

lucy

Best Answer

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Feel free to give me Kudos points if you want to thank me Smiley Happy

It is all up to you how you proceed !

If you can find that part number cheaper elsewhere then go for it ! Smiley Happy

That website does say :

DMS chips have the same specifications as the original parts and are backed by a lifetime warranty and are guaranteed to be compatible with the Acer KN.8GB07.005 chip. Our eCommerce store allows you to order these chips today, just click the buy button below and checkout in our online eshop.

Answers

• Inspiration101

Don't upgrade it yourself unless you have the skills, tools and knowledge to.  You have pretty much the newest and arguably the best Acer notebook on the market !

If you do decide to go ahead and upgrade yourself then be sure to unplug the battery as soon as you have the underside casing removed.

There are 13 screws you will need a TORX screwdriver to remove.  There is also 3 inch long rubber strip you will need to remove as two screws are underneath this.  You will then be able to remove the lowercase.

I believe there can be one of two types of HDD in the awesome R7, a 9mm or a 7mm.  I recommend you discover which you have before purchasing an SSD............ you want to make sure it will fit Smiley Happy  You have a SATA 3 HDD in there, I am unsure how much performance difference you will get by adding an SSD, SATA3 is pretty fast !

I would say "Save your money" and enjoy your new notebook as it is, see how you get on before making any hasty decisions.  If you do decide to upgrade it to the absolute maximum then get it done by a professional.

Good luck !

• Foxy-lucy

i think from what you said i will go just with the RAM. the 8bg ram stick is the best on the market, couldnt find better,

i think doing the ram carries a lot less risk then the doing the SSD drive as i really dont anything about bios and OS or anything related.

i was thinking i could just sell it and take a new r7 in a year from now with all the upgrades done already. 

what do you think

• Inspiration101

Sounds like a good idea really.  A simple RAM swap is the sensible option for sure !

• Foxy-lucy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDTNpI8f_g

please check out this short video if its that easy doing the SSD upgrade i can do it no problem, only problem with this is not doing win 8, will it matter since its cloning, i have the external multi drive.

let me know if doing it this way is possible with win 8 please. 

i could even bring the expert in to do it this way, problem with dubai and things like this is u cant trust anyone, so i would rather have it done in house in front of me. 

let me know please is what this guy did is possible, super easy and the worst thing that could happen is just to put the old hard drive back in.

doing it as he has is it better doing a clean new install with windows 8 new CD or just to clone like he has.

i just hear win 8 is really not nice taking on new hardware. 

• Foxy-lucy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDTNpI8f_g

please check out this short video if its that easy doing the SSD upgrade i can do it no problem, only problem with this is not doing win 8, will it matter since its cloning, i have the external multi drive.

let me know if doing it this way is possible with win 8 please. 

i could even bring the expert in to do it this way, problem with dubai and things like this is u cant trust anyone, so i would rather have it done in house in front of me. 

let me know please is what this guy did is possible, super easy and the worst thing that could happen is just to put the old hard drive back in.

doing it as he has is it better doing a clean new install with windows 8 new CD or just to clone like he has.

i just hear win 8 is really not nice taking on new hardware. 

• Foxy-lucy

ok now im sure i can do it, check what the samsung comes with. 

now im sure i can do it, this was the part i was worried about the most, samsung comes with the software & adaptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lmGpGN3a0

let me know if you think its ok.

• Inspiration101

Looks like you have done your research.  The first video you posted was someone using Paragon software to transfer Windows 7 so not a good comparison really. 

On another post in these forums a person was saying how their clone of Windows 8 with Paragon did not work so maybe not such a good idea.

The 2nd video, Samsung advert looks like it will work, very convincing indeed, looks like a winning idea !

If you are adventurous enough to have a go yourself then go for it ! Explore beyond limits !

Best of luck, would be nice to hear how you get on Smiley Happy

Some advice : Be sure to make a backup copy of your windows 8 discs using the Acer Recovery Management software, search your apps in windows 8 and burn off a disc set, for just in case of emergency.

• Foxy-lucy

ok so you mean take backup CD before starting the work. 

those files will be huge wont fit on a CD right so what about putting in on an External drive. i have a USB 3.0 external drive.

would it work on there or does it have to be on CD and if so how can i burn everything on CD, i guess the acer recovery gives you an idea when you should insert new CD?? sorry for stupid questions but not something have done before, im just learning as i go.

i need an adaptor to connect the SSD to the R7. i dont know what im looking for, i thought it would come with the Samsung pro but doesnt.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETKJTK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36K7LZ3H1W18W

http://mesgmy.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewMyMessages&&FClassic=true&ssPageName=STRK:ME:MMX&CurrentPage=MyeBayMyMessages&_trksid=p3984.m2295.l3912#d1

could you please let me know which is the better option?

sorry about all the questions and links im starting to feel guilty now!!! dont answer if your busy.... Smiley Embarassed

thank you 

• Inspiration101

We should always make a backup in case of emergency.  If you run the app for Acer Recovery and look at what options you are offered.  If will probably want to burn 3 or 4 DVD discs.  It may offer to save to a USB portable storage device like your USB 3 external HDD. You will have to run the app and see ! Smiley Happy

Why do you need an adapter to connect the SSD to the R7 ? All high speed internal SSD drives come with the SATA interface as standard.  You should be able to buy your SSD and it will plug in with no need for adapters.

Please post a link of the SSD you are going to buy.  And don't forget you want to check what size HDD is currently inside your R7, is it a 7mm or 9mm format ? You need to make sure your SSD is the same size.

• Foxy-lucy

sorry to confuse you, not sure if the right term is adapter or connector.

i need to connect the SSD direct to new laptop to make the clone, so the samsung migration software will make the clone to the SSD. i cant connect the SSD to usb port without something

i thought this would work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETKJTK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36K7LZ3H1W18W

here is the HD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NB8WRU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

i dont think it will work now since the ssd is 256gb and the new laptop standard drive 500gb so i seen some place the cloning will  be refused if the old HD is bigger then the SSD then i seen some place you can reduce the size of the Cpartition to fit, no idea how to do that!!! 

maybe i have to buy a super expensive 512gb samsung ssd that i dont need lol 

• Inspiration101

Ah now I see what you are trying to do.  I was thinking you would take a clone of the original HDD and put the image onto your USB 3 HDD.  Then transfer it from the USB 3 HDD to the new SSD.

But you can do it whatever way you want Smiley Happy

Your new SSD :

Hard Drive

• Size:256 GB
    • Manufacturer:256GB
    • Type: Serial ATA-150

That will fit in just fine.  I would not worry about the fact it is 256 GB and the drive you clone is bigger.  Size difference will not matter.  New cloning software should have no difficulty.  I have been imaging all sorts of HDD's for years and transferring the images with very few problems, size of HDD has never been a problem.

Don't forget to find out if the current HDD is 7mm or 9mm in size ! Very important.

• Foxy-lucy

i think its 7mm... i dont know as i dont have the new laptop yet but research that i did shows its 7mm. reviews and stuff.is it possible they come in 7mm and 9mm versions. i seen a few places mention 7mm.

only other thing i seen in some places is the problem of doing clone from HDD to SSD doesnt work out sometimes??

why is the 2mm difference so important? can i upgrade the ram at same time as SSD or is it a bad idea doing both together.

regarding bootup and machine getting too many new things at same time?

• Inspiration101

I have seen 7mm and 9mm information regarding HDD so best I mention it than not !  2mm can make a lot of difference also.

Sometimes cloning does not work, that is correct, this is why people pay professionals to do it. 

If you are going to open your computer up then it is best to just do it the once and get all the jobs done.  The more things get opened and closed the chance of problems in my experience.

I have built many computers up from several broken computers, it does not matter how many things you put in at once really - As long as you know what you are doing.

To be honest I think you are best to buy the RAM and SSD then pay someone else to do it.  Find someone who is highly recommended and is clearly a professional ! Maybe your company has an I.T guy, offer him some $$ or chocolate Smiley Happy

• Foxy-lucy

hi seem to have hit a snag.

got my ram and noticed its 1.5v

was reading some place the ram on aspire R7 is 1.35v 

i cant confirm it as dont have the laptop yet!

any idead?

• Inspiration101

I agree, the RAM in the R7 appears to be 1.35v.  http://www.micron.com/parts/modules/ddr3-sdram/mt8ktf51264hz-1g6

Return your RAM and insist on 1.35v replacement ?

• Inspiration101

Just to complicate things I have just seen information that says the R7 "supports 1.5v DIMM".

So being so new maybe it will support both, it is normally older computers that are not as compatible.

• Foxy-lucy

what if i buy ram that is dual V so 1.35 and 1.5 works on the stick?

• Inspiration101

Why don't you buy the proper approved for the R7 RAM ?  http://www.zandparts.com/Acer-KN.8GB07.005

Like everything, you don't know if it will work until you try it.  But I do know the above part goes into the R7.

• Foxy-lucy

ok that would work. but  more then 130$ for unknown ram brand.

i could get hyperx stick or another good brand for less then 80$

how do you know that is what your suppose to use??

• Foxy-lucy

look i found the same ram that you suggested but its much cheaper 69 and 75$.

only thing i dont understand is which one i should take as there is 2 and they are different but i dont know why.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/parts/acer/KN.8GB07.005/

p.s what would i do without you... god knows how you found the part number. 

This discussion has been closed.