Moving Win8.1 from 1TB HDD to new m.2 SSD (VN7-591G-73Y5)

tytlyf
tytlyf Member Posts: 43 New User

I have a M.2 SSD shipping shortly and want to move Win8.1 from the 1TB HDD to the new drive.  I will be using both drives, 1TB for storage and SSD for OS and certain programs.  I've read a couple threads on this but have a different question.

Would it be best to use a migrate program to move the OS or can I do a fresh install on the SSD from a USB flash (Acer recovery install)?

The ideal situation would be a fresh OS install on the SSD and formatting the 1TB HDD.  I have a USB Flash that I will be putting the acer recovery information on and would like to do a fresh install if possible.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

SInce windows 8.x use UEFI BIOS and it boots from the windows boot management, you can set the SSD or HDD as primary boot device but only the windows boot management.

probably you will not face any issue, try to install from USB to SSD and check if it boots automatically from SSD.

if you want, you can wipe the HDD before using the USB recovery media, creating a bootable USB media with partition magic software and wipe the HDD before start the whole process.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

probably re-installing from scratch will be the fastest and trouble free thing, since SSD need to be optimized (disabled defrag, garbage collector and so on) and windows 8.1 is well optmized on SSD usage.

so i would 100% re-install from the USB erecovery media, backup what you need from the 1TB HDD, wipe it and put it back on the VN7.

• tytlyf

Ok, I'll be keeping both drives in this laptop.  So once I install the SSD, I just need to restart and boot into bios and switch to 'boot' from removable media?  And at that point it will notice the new SSD and give me the option to install on that?  If so, once the OS is installed, it's just a matter of formatting my other HDD from just right-clicking the drive in windows explorer and selecting format?  I just want to make sure there aren't any operating system files on the HDD.

(I haven't done this in a while and feel rusty)

• IronFly

instead of going to BIOS you can press F12 at boot and choose the USB directly as bootable device, check it the USB recovery media will give you the option to choose where to install the OS, if it goes straight to the HDD, take it off and retry without the HDD installed.

please notice that having both SSD and HDD with windows 8.1 installed, can create some issue during boot; so maybe it's better to wipe the HDD before putting back to the laptop.

• tytlyf

I'm confused.  If I install the USB flash recovery onto the SSD, the HDD will still have the OS files once I reach the desktop.  At that point, can't I just format the HDD to wipe it clean?  I don't want to unplug this HDD in the laptop for this installation as I want to avoid taking apart this laptop more than once.  If I install the m.2 SSD and unplug the HDD, I have to put the laptop back together for OS installation.  Once that is complete, I'd have to open the laptop again, plug the HDD back in and boot up again (OS will still be on the HDD).  After this I would still need to go into the BIOS and set the boot device to the SSD right?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

SInce windows 8.x use UEFI BIOS and it boots from the windows boot management, you can set the SSD or HDD as primary boot device but only the windows boot management.

probably you will not face any issue, try to install from USB to SSD and check if it boots automatically from SSD.

if you want, you can wipe the HDD before using the USB recovery media, creating a bootable USB media with partition magic software and wipe the HDD before start the whole process.

• tytlyf

Interesting.  I think I'll install the SSD, reboot off the USB, and go from there.  The USB flash gets here in a day or 2 and I'll load the Acer factory default backup on it.  The SSD shows up a couple days after that.  If the USB doesn't pick up the new drive to install on, I'll have to revisit this issue.  Thanks again.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

if you will face any issue, please be free to open a new thread about it.

• tytlyf

Running into problems.  I've installed the new SSD and would like to boot off the USB Flash to install the OS on the new SSD.  I've contacted Acer support, and they said the warranty will be voided if I try to install the OS on the SSD instead of leaving it on the HDD.

Do you know if the BIOS needs to be changed permanently to boot from the new SSD?  UEFI or Legacy?  My laptop sees the new SSD but I can't find a way to install the OS from scratch on it.  Bootin on the USB Flash doesn't give me the option to choose the new drive, I just assume it's installing on the old drive.

• IronFly

you need to unplug the old HDD and check if the USB installation media is able to install to SSD.

UEFI on windows 8.1 not legacy.

• tytlyf

Thanks, you again =).  That's what I just did, I unplugged the tape for the 1TB HDD with the current OS on it, I'm in the process of "Reset my PC" off the USB Flash.  I can only assume it's installing the OS onto the SSD since the HD is unplugged.

Do I need to do anything concerning boot order in BIOS or any other settings before booting up when this is complete?  If I plug the HD back in with the OS on it, will I run into any issues booting with 2 devices with the same OS on it?  My ultimate goal is to be able to format the HD to use as storage.  I'd also like to have the SSD as a C: drive and the HD as D: .  Thanks, I appreciate the help.  My laptop is currently at 10% as far as the reset is going.

• IronFly

if you reconnect the HDD with windows 8.1 still inside, it will boot from the HDD for sure, since (as i already written), the boot is managed from windows boot manager.

you need to wipe the HDD before booting with both SSD and HDD connected.

you can do it using an USB or CD bootable with partition wizard inside, booting from it and wiping the HDD, then you can reboot from SSD only (windows boot manager on BIOS)

you need to completly wipe your HDD
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD on your desktop, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all patitions and click on yes and then apply
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media

then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI and boot from the erecovery media