Laptop Started Shocking Me When Plugged In?

Syeda
Syeda Member Posts: 3 New User

I replaced my power cord of Acer Aspire 5749 a week ago. Previous one stopped working. While using new cord, when i touch the metallic side of my laptop when plugged in it gives shock. Why is this happening? How can i resolve it?

Answers

• Something is shorted to ground and it is dangerous. You could get electrocuted.

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

I can't think of a situation where you would be able to easily fix the issue or ignore it.  Definitely look to get it serviced.

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

Just to clear things up, did you mean the AC Brick or the actual cord itself? If it's the cord that's doing that, its very dangerous. I know a competitor just recently had a A/C cord recall themselves due to damage reported.

Try another cord and make sure the cord you buy has all the ratings and standards from your locale to ensure its safe for the environment you are operating in. 3rd party cords from overseas places on online auction sites may not carry these standards and certifications and may cause fires or other hazards. Only buy brands you know.

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

OP specified "he metallic side of my laptop" not the cord.

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

Colchicine wrote:

OP specified "he metallic side of my laptop" not the cord.

Sorry Smiley Happy I have not had my morning coffee yet before work Smiley Happy

• Syeda
    Syeda Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, Thank you for your answer. I am using the original Acer Cord, Its adapter stopped working so i changed it. New AC adapter causing shock.

This discussion has been closed.