I need to know if I need to buy a new wifi card?

ezila
ezila Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, so I have an acer aspire 5750z computer, a while back my wifi suddenly stopped working, but the ethernet is fine.  I've searched the internet and tried to install the required driver (Atheros), but when I try it says that the "drive might have been ejected please reinsert it now" or something along those lines. When I go to the driver manager the wifi driver isn't even listed under network adapters, oonly the ethernet drver was there.  I've heard that if your computer has had a virus or if you had dropped it the wifi card might have been damaged and I wanted to know if that's true, and if so can I buy a new wifi card?

Best Answer

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

If you do not find the Device under device manager (Under- Network adapter / Other devices / Unknown devices), then Yes its seems to be a issue with the network adapter. & I do see that the same is available online for purchase

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

You may reset BIOS to default settings and check if the wireless adapter is detected in device manager.

You may also use the hardware vendor detecttion utility to check if the wireless card is detected Hardware vendor utility

If it is not detected, then the wireless adapter would be defective and needs to be replaced.

• ezila
    ezila Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

so I see this

LB stuff.png

does that mean my wifi card is working? And if so do you have any opinions on why my wifi may not be working?

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

If you do not find the Device under device manager (Under- Network adapter / Other devices / Unknown devices), then Yes its seems to be a issue with the network adapter. & I do see that the same is available online for purchase
  • n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

I'd dump that Antheros adapter and get an Intel 6200, 6300, or 7260 mini card.

They can be had on the cheap at ebay and drivers are readily avail at Intel's

site. I'm running an Intel 4965agm in this unit I'm using writing this and it

never gives me trouble. Just make sure what ever you do, that once you get

the adapter working, go to device mgr, pick the WIFI device click properties, go

to power management and MAKE SURE THE BOX IS UNCHECKED that will allow

the computer to shut down power for the adapter. You want it powered all

the time the unit is on.