Frequent shutdown upon powering up

zed0305
zed0305 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello Acer community, I'm just new here and thought I might find a solution on my laptop problem issue.
I'm using ACER ASPIRE 4738ZG, my problem started when I am browsing yahoo and reading some stuffs, then suddenly my laptop turns off..i thought it was just a normal issue so I tried to restart it but it only lights for 4-5 seconds and turns off again..but when i go to BIOS setup it wont shutdown and fan is functional as well, the temperature is also normal..however, when i exit the BIOS setup..it shutdowns again..i tried it a lot of times but still don't work. So I decided not use my laptop for a couple of hours hoping that it will function once I use it again. But nothings change after I powered it on.
I also tried to dismantle it, checked the fan and did servicing. Checked AC adapter and battery cell as well. All good. After assembling and testing again to power on using only AC adapter and the battery afterwards, still nothings change.
With my desperation, I tried to reformat my laptop with CD on my BIOS setup, but after pressing F10; the screen showing only up to "press any key to reboot from CD" and it shutdowns again..i tried it a lot of times but still. Nothings change. Please help me guys..Thanks

Best Answer

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

This seems to be an auto protection procedure of your processor. What means, there is no cooling or the fan isn't recognized anymore. There is also a slightly possibility that your GPU is the cause of overheating. Is there only one fan? Normally, if you have a separate GPU, there are two fans.

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

This seems to be an auto protection procedure of your processor. What means, there is no cooling or the fan isn't recognized anymore. There is also a slightly possibility that your GPU is the cause of overheating. Is there only one fan? Normally, if you have a separate GPU, there are two fans.

• zed0305
    Yeah right, there is only one fan and when I tested it with a direct supply of 5 vdc, it's functional though..and if the fan is not already recognized, what might be the possible root cause of this problem and what recommendations can you give me? And if you are right that the GPU is the problem, what should I do?
    Thank you very much for your reply..Its very much appreciated.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

I think that you need to clean the fan, heatsink and the CPU, if you are confident enough to do it yourself, go ahead because it's very easy to do yourself than sending for a service.

You need to get some thermal paste, cleaning materials and a suitable screw driver.

I have attached a link for the disassembly procedure to help you:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYL9wCKrpE

If you are not sure of anything, please post your question.

• zed0305
    Thanks brummy and silizium,I think your recommendations solved my problem. When I disassembled again my laptop and did thorough servicing of its fan, heat sink, CPU and GPU, then putting thermal paste on its conductive areas. After assembling, and powering it on. The problem still occurred, but when I tried consecutive on-off, it works. Now, my laptop is due for observation and I hope this will work for good. Thank you so much guys. I really learned a lot specially for me that this is my first time to do such thing. Your help is very much appreciated.
  • roger712
    roger712 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi zed0305!

I was curious to know if your laptop is still working fine. I too have got a similar problem. Just want to make sure if this is going to work.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.