Downgrade an Acer Aspire from windows 8 to windows 7

quovadis
quovadis Member Posts: 27 New User

Hi Folks, windows 8 is driving me crazy and wish to downgrade as quick as possible . Firstly I dont have windows 8 pro , but if I upgraded to pro can I then downgrade to 7 easier  ? ]If not, can anyone give me clear and easy basic  to understand instructions to get this machine back to windows 7 please...pretty please ? I understand its important to get the right drivers in place ...is there a programe what I can run now  on 8 to tell me what I need when getting back to 7 ? any guidance really appreciated 

regards 

Answers

• AppsDev
    AppsDev Member Posts: 35

Tinkerer

"Hi Folks, windows 8 is driving me crazy and wish to downgrade as quick as possible . Firstly I dont have windows 8 pro , but if I upgraded to pro can I then downgrade to 7 easier  ? ]If not, can anyone give me clear and easy basic  to understand instructions to get this machine back to windows 7 please...pretty please ? I understand its important to get the right drivers in place ...is there a programe what I can run now  on 8 to tell me what I need when getting back to 7 ? any guidance really appreciated 

regards "

I cannot answer your questions definitively, not least because you've not said which model of computer you are using, but here are some things to think about.

I doubt that upgrading Windows 8 to Pro will help you, unless you know of a reason why it would.

I have heard that Windows 8 can now be configured to function more like Windows 7, also with a patch released from Microsoft, although the patches from Microsoft recently have not been installing themselves entirely properly.

As regards a program that you can run under Windows 8 that will tell you what you need to get back to Windows 7, I am certain that there will be none.  You cannot "downgrade" the operating system; only completely install Windows 7, either by allowing reformatting of the hard drive, or possibly by creating a new partition so that you have both systems available.  This latter option could be a way for you to see that Windows 7 does in fact work without having to delete the current installation; however, having two operating systems certainly used to sometimes cause problems with older versions of Windows.

Did this computer ever have Windows 7?  If so, it should be possible to find the drivers without too much trouble.  If not, however, it may be more difficult or impossible, but given that Windows 8 is relatively new, you have a reasonable chance of finding the drivers.

Installing another operating system on a computer already in use is a good deal of work to perform backups, download drivers, reinstall programs and utilities and set the various settings.  Before you start, make backups of your entire user account(s) that you use to store your files.  Then install the operating system.  Remember to install the antivirus & anti-spyware software with up-to-date definitions FIRST after the OS installation has completed from recordable insertable media, not over the Internet.  Then install the network driver (for Ethernet or Wifi or whatever network connection you plan to use for the rest of the installation) and complete the installation.  All of this you do at your own risk, of course: no promises or guaranties of success.

Personally I would definitely go the route of configuring Windows 8 to be more like Windows 7: it'll be much less work and less risky too.

Best of luck!

Clive

This discussion has been closed.