Display adapter drive cannot find enough resources

rnolty
rnolty Member Posts: 2 New User

HI all -- I volunteer administer laptops for a small school.  Last week one motherboard (not an Acer) fried, and a kid dropped his Acer and crashed the hard drive.  So I took the non-Acer hard drive, with its system and software still on it, and put it in the Acer laptop.  It boots OK, and I installed a few drivers from the Acer website.  However, I have not been able to get the display adaptor driver installed, and so now the laptop is limited to 1024x768 resolution.

The hard drive came from a computer with an AMD processor and an AMD/ATI video card.  The Acer computer has an Intel processor and Intel HD Graphics.  I have run the Intel driver installer from the Acer website.  I have tried "uninstalling" the display adaptor from Device Manager and letting it reinstall.  The one time I got the Intel driver to install, its status was, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.  (Code 12)"  Right now, somehow the display adaptor has reverted to "Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor", but even that cannot find enough free resources.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but following some advice I found in a forum, I tried uninstalling a couple of devices under System Devices.  Specifically, even though I installed the Intel chipset drivers and I see them in Device Manager, I still see two devices called "AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver".  That can't be good.  I've tried uninstalling both of them, but the uninstall dialog never completes.  I tried that in Safe Mode, but same result.  I tried removing the referenced driver, AtiPcie.sys, but then the computer could not boot.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the Intel driver working?

Thanks!

Bob

Best Answer

• rnolty
    Answer ✓

Thanks philetus -- I didn't get back into the school until last night.  I deleted all the system programs and all the HP bloatware programs but no change.

Of course I can't just run the factory recovery when the factory hard drive is dead and the computer has a hard drive from another company.  But I am going to just reimage the whole hard drive -- I found an image of the whole system I took a couple of years ago.

Thanks all,

Bob

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Check Programs and Features in Control panel for graphics software from the non-Acer. Better. Do a factory Recovery and get an Acer system on it.

• rnolty
    Answer ✓

Thanks philetus -- I didn't get back into the school until last night.  I deleted all the system programs and all the HP bloatware programs but no change.

Of course I can't just run the factory recovery when the factory hard drive is dead and the computer has a hard drive from another company.  But I am going to just reimage the whole hard drive -- I found an image of the whole system I took a couple of years ago.

Thanks all,

Bob