Difficulty Creating Travelmate Recovery Disks

Sox
Sox Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I recently bought a Travelmate P253 and elected to keep Windows 7 on it rather than to upgrade to Windows 8. The Acer recovery application occasionally pops up to remind me I haven't created recovery disks yet (I do realise I can switch this off), and even though I think there is a recovery parition on the harddisk I do think I should create a alternate recivery copy.

So I have tried to use the Acer recovery tool and am using the "Create Factory Default" option. It advises there is 12.4Gb to backup which would take 4 DVDs. Having previously done this on my wife's Sony laption (Win 8) to usb, I purchased a 16Gb usb stick to perform my backup onto instead of DVDs. However it does not offer me the USB drive as an option to backup to.

As it only offers the DVD drive I reluctantly went to the backup to many discs option. But it refused to work with any of the blank DVD discs I already had. So on the assmption that the name of the drive being "Hl-DT-ST DVDRAM GT90N" implies this is a DVD-RAM drive, I purchased some blank DVDs which are specifically DVD-RAM discs (Panasonic DVD RAM 2-3x, 120Min). But they still won't work.

The message I get from the Acer recovery program is always "Please insert a blank DVD into the optical drive, then press ok to continue".

I can access the new discs ok through this drive with Windows Explorer, so this proves the dvd drive works ok and is compatible with the discs.

So my question would be

a) Is it possible to get the Acer recovery application to backup to usb drives?

b) How can I get it to work with the disks I bought for the purpose

c) If these are not the correct disks, then what are?

d) Could I backup to an external drive (hard disk) connected via usb?

e) Does this recovery program even work?

I do have the option of ignoring the Acer utility and using Windows 7 recovery. However this want to backup 50Gb.

I just want a mimal backup on as fewer media as possible, which will put it back to factory default state.

Thanks

Paul

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

There is not a way to make the Acer recovery software on USB in Windows 7. If your computer won't let you create disks, I would call technical support in your region. They should be able to get you the disks you need.

• Sox
    Sox Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I've heard Acer want to charge for this privilege. What's wrong with me using the Acer feature my computer is offering specifically for the purpose, for free ?

Is this not me contacting Acer support regardless of region?

Thanks

Sox

• grandesballo
    grandesballo Member Posts: 5 New User
    I think that regular DVDs will work. Although the drive writes dvd-ram it doesn't mean that the revovery utility allows you to do so.
    Try with dvd-r, dvd+r or DVD dl (double layer).

Anyway, try to call the locale support, if you insist that you can't write them on any Support they are likely to send the recovery disks free of charge. They did it with me as my media wouldn't work.
This discussion has been closed.