Delete key currently isn't working correctly on my Acer Aspire V5

benrube
benrube Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi I own a Acer Aspire V5 laptop and noticed a problem with the delete key recently while I was using Microsoft Office Word. Whenever I pressed the delete key it wouldn't delete what I selected and instead opened up the Key Tips in the ribbon. After having my son look at it he couldn't figure out the problem as well, but he noticed that the Delete key was functioning in the same as the Alt key. Does anyone know how to fix this so that my delete key working correctly again?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go to device manager/keyboards/driver and uninstall the driver, reboot and after it reinstalles the driver if it works correctly.

• benrube

I tried the process 2 times and it still did not work. When I hit delete I get black boxes with numbers and letters in the tool bar.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try an external keyboard and see if you have the same problem.Which version of Office are you using?

• benrube

No external keyboard at home. I guess I will have to bring my laptop to school on Tuesday. I am using Office 2013. I appreciate your help.

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

Have you tested the keys in another application to see if this issue persists?

If it's doing the same behavior, something is wrong with your keyboard and it's likely you need it serviced.

How long have you had the unit for? Your system boots normally so its safe to say its unlikely you have a sticky key problem associated with the electronics of the keyboard. Only a key that's truly stuck will chronically beep from the BIOS that your sending too much information to the computer keystroke wise.

• benrube

I just tried an external keyboard and I am having the same problem. The problem occurs anytime I use the deleate button.

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

Hi again Smiley Happy

Going to my last response, does the delete key work on anything else besides the program you were using? Its important to test it in all features of the computer to isolate a program issue. Do you use any programs that may assign one key and make it do something else instead of what the key was intended for?

• benrube

Does not work in any other functions, tried Ctrl-Alt-Del. I'm not advanced enough to try and use other programs. My son went on you tube looking for ideas how to fix it but could not come up with anything and I am 2 months past warranty.

This discussion has been closed.