Cannot get windows updates

sheila5
sheila5 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5349-2899 with Windows 7 (64 bit) that I purchased in June.  The first time I turned the computer on it was fine and I was just exploring how Windows 7 works, since I am not familiar with it, about 5 minutes.  Yesterday I turned it on and installed Microsoft Essentials with no problem.  Tried to install Microsoft Office 2007 and received Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {837BF1EB-D770-94EB-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}, HRESULT:  0X800736fd.  Not sure what that means but I decided maybe I needed windows updates and received error code 80090005 after about 3 hours of running.  I did call Acer this morning and they told me that error code 80090005 was a security issue but would not help without paying them.  What is the best solution, should I do a restore, if that is the case, how?  Thank you

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Sheila. What you're describing is a Microsoft software problem, not an Acer hardware problem, but we're still happy to help. The security code you are referring to often means that  your computer cannot access the operating system. But it appears that you can, so:

Make sure that you have updated Microsoft Security Essentials and run a deep scan. After that, if you are using another anti-virus program, make sure it is updated and run a deep scan.

MalwareBytes is a free download that is not an anti-virus program and will not clash with anti-virus programs. It looks for corrupted remains of software programs. Set a System Restore Point before you run a deep scan with it, and then let it quarantine whatever it finds.

Error 1935 usually occurs when installing Microsoft Office. Often, there is a problem with your Microsoft .NET Framework. Go into Control Panel, Windows Updates, and check for updates that are NOT essential. If you find anything to update .Net Framework, set a System Restore Point and then install it.

Sometimes Microsoft Office clashes with other software. There are several free word processing programs available on the web, and if all else fails, you might need to download one of them.

This discussion has been closed.