Can't boot eRecovery Management; Acer Aspire 5920G

Melissa_M
Melissa_M Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 5920G running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2.

Recently it refuses to boot to Windows, so I would like to perform Factory Restore... but as I pressed Alt+F10 during Acer's splash screen, it went to Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool instead.

Can anybody help me on this? Are the hotkeys different for this model?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Do like laurent said. Try the full Vista version and see what happens. You might even save your data. At some point, if it works, you'll be required to register with Microsoft --- should be a relatively painless process.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Do the Alt+F10 routine before the splash screen. Follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Report back

Thanks

Jack E/.NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Melissa_M

I followed the instruction, it doesn't go to Memory Diagnostics Tool this time, but nothing happened. It goes to the boot manager as normally when I don't press anything.

• JackE

What options are listed on the boot manager?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello Melissa_M,

Look this video: Acer eRecovery - How to restore the Operating System from Recovery Partition

Press m or F2 to enter in Bios Setup Utility.

France
  • JackE

Yup! Good point, laurent! That indeed might be Melissa's  fix here!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Melissa_M

Hi laurent_14!

Thanks so much for the video instruction! I checked with it and the D2D is already enabled before I could set it Smiley Sad The Acer eRecovery Management still doesn't show up no matter how many times I tried it.

Will it be much of a hassle if I clean install using Windows Vista installation disc? My brother has Windows Vista SP2 installation disc which he stored on a USB drive. So that could be my last resort.

I believe all the drivers and eApplications can be downloaded from Acer Support, can't they?

• Melissa_M

Oh, sorry. I missed JackE's question.

Regarding "What options are listed on the boot manager?"

A friend (we shared this PC) made a mistake when installing openSUSE. So at the Boot Manager, there are options:

- Microsoft Windows Vista

- openSUSE installer (LOCAL)

Usually this page really helps me giving more time when it comes to pressing F8, so I kinda know Alt+F10 doesn't work if it lands on this part.

• JackE

The Linux installation is somewhat of the fly in the ointment here. Do not try to install WinVista if it isn't a generic store bought full version.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• laurent_14

I guess your hidden partition PQSERVICE is damaged when you have installed OpenSuse:

The original partitions:

0- PQSERVICE (Hidden partition)

1- C: Acer

2- D: Acer data

So you can try to repair windows with the original Windows Vista (installation)...

France
  • laurent_14

Hello JackE,

We say the same thing ! Smiley Wink

France
  • Melissa_M

Although I did at first suspecting openSUSE was one of the factors, openSUSE installer at Boot Manager didn't cause any issue as it was installed back in 2009 and Windows was running perfectly fine. Until just recently the Windows refuses to boot.

I tried using installation disc to repair, but it failed. I am also unable to boot to Safe Mode. 

Smiley Sad

The OS installation file I have here is full version.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Do like laurent said. Try the full Vista version and see what happens. You might even save your data. At some point, if it works, you'll be required to register with Microsoft --- should be a relatively painless process.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Melissa_M

Alright. Then I will try performing clean install. 

Good thing the Microsoft sticker at the bottom of the notebook is still intact and clear Smiley Very Happy 

I will update you guys my situation again later.

Thanks so much to both of you, laurent and JackE! I feel really grateful to receive such fast replies and advises from you!

• Melissa_M

Hi guys!

My Windows is up and running as new after re-installing Windows. The eRecovery Management is also there now as I downloaded and installed all the apps provided by Accer Support here Smiley Happy I am glad it solved my problem, especially in booting Windows!

Thanks to both of you guys for the assistance!

There is another problem on the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam which I also experienced before I faced problem booting Windows. I will see what I can do first and if I still can't solve it, I will make a separate post.

For now this case is closed with the conclusion that I re-installed my Windows and re-download all the eApps from Acer Support Smiley Happy

• JackE

>>>There is another problem on the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam which I also experienced before I faced problem booting Windows. I will see what I can do first and if I still can't solve it, I will make a separate post.>>>

Nice job Melissa. As for the Webcam problem, is it recognized in Device Mgr under imaging devices? If so, does Device Mgr indicate that it's working properly?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Melissa_M

JackE wrote:

>>>There is another problem on the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam which I also experienced before I faced problem booting Windows. I will see what I can do first and if I still can't solve it, I will make a separate post.>>>

Nice job Melissa. As for the Webcam problem, is it recognized in Device Mgr under imaging devices? If so, does Device Mgr indicate that it's working properly?

Jack E/NJ

At Device Manager, there is no "Imaging devices" listed at all Smiley Sad

I really hope this isn't hardware issue.

• JackE

It's likely due to either a loose connector for the video ribbon cable that needs to be reseated or the cable itself has a conductor break that usually happens near the hinge area from opening/closing the screen lid too much. No big deals.

I suggest first removing the battery and power supply. Then remove the screen bezel that's usually held by plastic catches and 2 screws at the bottom hidden beneath roundish pieces of tape. Unscrew the screen screws and lower the screen to access the connector at the webcam. Re-seat the connector. Then before putting it all back together, gingerly lean the screen loose against the lid and replace the battery. Then boot up and see if the webcam is detected.

If not, next step will be to remove the battery again. Then remove the keyboard in order to access and re-seat the connector at the other end of the cable at the motherboard. While you're at it, you'll also re-seat the connector for the screen at this time. Since the keyboard is held in with about six difficult-to-uncatch  plastic catches near the top and side edges, you'd want to test it again with the batter before putting it all back together again.

Finally, if that also fails, then it's time to get out your credit card and tune in to Amazon for a new video ribbon cable http://www.amazon.com/Aspire-5920-5920G-Series-DD0ZD1LC000/dp/B00J5C4CB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398009720&sr=8-4&keywords=aspire+5920g+video+cable

You might break or otherwise mangle a few of the frustrating plastic catches during this process, But don't despair because Home Depot and Lowes now stock duct tape in designer colors. 8^) In fact, my own mangled keyboard is now held securely to the case with designer duct tape but I don't think you'd notice it unless pointed out.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Melissa_M

JackE wrote:

It's likely due to either a loose connector for the video ribbon cable that needs to be reseated or the cable itself has a conductor break that usually happens near the hinge area from opening/closing the screen lid too much. No big deals.

I suggest first removing the battery and power supply. Then remove the screen bezel that's usually held by plastic catches and 2 screws at the bottom hidden beneath roundish pieces of tape. Unscrew the screen screws and lower the screen to access the connector at the webcam. Re-seat the connector. Then before putting it all back together, gingerly lean the screen loose against the lid and replace the battery. Then boot up and see if the webcam is detected.

If not, next step will be to remove the battery again. Then remove the keyboard in order to access and re-seat the connector at the other end of the cable at the motherboard. While you're at it, you'll also re-seat the connector for the screen at this time. Since the keyboard is held in with about six difficult-to-uncatch  plastic catches near the top and side edges, you'd want to test it again with the batter before putting it all back together again.

Finally, if that also fails, then it's time to get out your credit card and tune in to Amazon for a new video ribbon cable http://www.amazon.com/Aspire-5920-5920G-Series-DD0ZD1LC000/dp/B00J5C4CB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398009720&sr=8-4&keywords=aspire+5920g+video+cable

You might break or otherwise mangle a few of the frustrating plastic catches during this process, But don't despair because Home Depot and Lowes now stock duct tape in designer colors. 8^) In fact, my own mangled keyboard is now held securely to the case with designer duct tape but I don't think you'd notice it unless pointed out.

Jack E/NJ

Hahaha! The way you include duct tape makes it so funny!

But wow, that sounds complicated to me who doesn't have electronic background. I will consult with my friend who knows about this better and will check it out together and see what I find Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.