Can't Disable Edge Swipe On Acer aspire v5-552p

wfs
wfs Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I just purchased an Acer aspire v5-552p-x617 with windows 8.  I like the laptop, but, there is one big probem:  when using the touch pad, the Charms bar keeps appearing.  I don't feel we can live with this annoying behavior, so, I need to disable the edge swipe feature.  I opened the Mouse Properties - Device Settings window but there is no capability to disable edge swipes.  I also went to Change PC settings - Mouse & Touchpad, but there is no option to disable edge swiped there either.

How can I disable the edge swipe feature?

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

wfs, welcome aboard. There are several possible causes, so there are several possible solutions.

If you have a defective touchpad, you need to return your laptop while it is still under warranty.

But I wonder where your pointer is when this happens. Could you be accidentally setting off the charms bar? Could you be accidentaly brushing the edge of the touch pad or accidentally touching the edge with your other hand or part of your hand?

• wfs

Thank you for the quick reply.  My wife is the primary user of the laptop.  She uses the touch pad right edge to scroll up or down the contents of a window.  Often while she is dong this, the charms bar appears.  I tried it myself, and even when being careful the charms bar can accidentally be displayed.  

I've read that this is a common problem with windows 8 & 8.1.  Many laptops allow the user to disable the edge swipe feature to prevent this behavior.  I would like to disable it on my new acer laptop.

• Vince53

Okay, your wife is accidentally setting off the Charms Bar, but a lot of people have the same problem. There is no one way to disable the edge swipe, because machines differ, but here is a tutorial from a reputable site:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20992-touchpad-edge-swipes-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

• wfs

Is it possible for me to get and install a different Synaptics touchpad driver that will support disabling edge swipes?

• Vince53

I doubt it. Remember that the touchscreen is designed to call up the Charms Bar when swiped on the edge. I love Windows 8, but it took me a while to get used to not bringing up the Charms Bar when I didn't want to.

• dex13
    dex13 Member Posts: 2 New User

for some reason, acer doesn't have the ability to disable this feature (as far as I can tell).  Many people have this issues and its annoying.  Acer needs to fix its driver to allow for this feature (and yes, many other manufactures have drives that allow for this featur).

In all honesty, this lack of a simple fix would  make me not purchase another acer as it is extremely annoying when working.

• larSilva
    larSilva Member Posts: 2 New User

I, too was very frustrated by the edge swipe "feature." After a very frustrating phone call with Acer, I got on the line with Microsoft and they were able to find a solution to Acer's problem.

We installled an older version of the Synaptic driver, 16.2.21.0, that includes the edge swipe feature with an OFF switch. I had to unload the existing driver and then install the new driver, but once it was installed and restarted, it has been working like a champ. Here is a link to one site that has it available: http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/download.php?item_id=799497895&scanid=CEA3F0B34A534E7995082CCBC6084842&hardware_id=*SYN1B1C

Acer needs to fix this from their side and soon. Like another poster, it is a reason for which I would be inclined to return the machine, and to not prchase another one. Thank goodness for a persistent Microsoft tech.

• hathaway
    hathaway Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, Managed to disable all edge swipes on my toshiba with windows 8, so it may work for acer models as well. Firstly I downloaded Start Menu 8 to get the start button back (other free apps are available), but this would not disable edge swipes. So go into control panel via start button if you have reinstalled it, or menu that appears on edge swipe, then go into Hardware and Sound. Next go into " Mouse" ( under Devices and Printers), then go into Touch Pad (top left of page on my screen). On this page go  into "change the touchpad settings"- bottom of page in blue letters on my screen- you should then see five coloured icons near top of page. Click on the "Single Finger Gestures"  icon ( unfortunate wording), this is the middle of the five on my screen. You can then disable Right Edge, Top edge and Left Edge action by clicking the "O" symbol, - I did the lot!- then click OK button at bottom of page. This has removed all edge swipes from my screen, and seems to be a permanent fix. This has literally saved my sanity. The only possible problem I can see is that you will no longer be able to access Control Panel from the edge swipe menu, and you will prabably have to install Start Menu 8 or something similarto get the start button back, but as this free of charge and simple to install, it seems to be worth the effort. Hope this helps.  Gary H.

• salq
    salq Member Posts: 7 New User

I downgraded the driver and got rid of this annoyance, but it's noticeable that the older driver isn't as the 17.0.6.17 version... two-finger scrolling and pinching are both less fluid than they used to be.  So yes Acer, please get a fix in for the latest driver.

• salq

Acer did a Walmart Roll-Back of the latest Synaptics driver, now it's Touchpad_Synaptics_16.3.12.31_Win8x64.  It doesn't have the Edge Swipe setting, but it's not happening either.  So either they disabled it (which seems silly instead of fixing the enablement), or my uninstalled older driver registry settings to disable edge swiping is still active and working.  In any case, this version is noticeably better, especially in terms of two-finger scrolling, which I do a lot.

• geodevos
    geodevos Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the exact same probem. Since I have a n Elantech mousepad I don't know if this ould work for me

Did you have a Synaptics mousepad? ?  

Thanks

• salq

Yes, I have the Synaptic.