BIOS updates for Aspire 5745G

osandakj
osandakj Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

Hello!

I have an Aspire 5745G Notebook.

It already has the latest bios firmware that you have provided in drivers and manuals section.

I still wanna know will acer provides more BIOS updates to make my system full competible with windows 8.
If yes, i can wait.

Please give some information about this case.

Thanks in advance before.

Best Answer

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Although your machine has higher specs than some machines that can handle WIndows 8, Microsoft's own evaluation shows that your rig cannot handle Windows 8 well. Three years of Windows 7 with no problems? Then if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Getting the drivers off the recovery disk could be impossible. And drivers from the manufacturers are not guaranteed to work on an Acer machine designed for a different OS.

You do realize that for about $200 you can buy a new laptop with WIndows 8 installed. I love Windows 8 so much that that is the route I would take. In fact, it is the route I took.

Answers

• Vince53

Osand, I researched your machine, and that's a good, decent machine you have there. I noted that it has two graphics cards and can switch automatically between them. And that's one of the reasons why you should not upgrade to Windows 8.

Changing operating systems on a laptop is much more difficult that on a desktop. The drivers have to be much more specific, and you often lose your drivers when you upgrade,(because your new operating system does not include those drivers on its installation DVD. You can download the drivers from Acer, but they are designed to work with Windows 7, not 8.

Yes, it can be done, and sometimes it is done easily. But enough people have serious trouble with it that I advise against it.

• osandakj

Hello!

My machine is okay for day today work and it has more than enough specs to run Windows 8.

I'm using it about 3-4 years without any troubles with factory default OEM Windows 7.

As you said, I found the same. It has to graphic cards. Intel HD graphics and nVidia GeForce GT 420M,

What are those two? I'm always getting confused while updating drivers. What card should I upgrade?

And default device is GT 420M card I guess. How do I switch between them?

BTW will you please explain me how 2 graphic cards will affect to windows 8 briefly?

And I know O/S upgrade is little difficult in notebooks than desktops. I've run Windows 8 upgrade assistant and is says everything is compatible with Windows 8 except secure boot, gadgets, mse. Is that mean my computer is ready for Windows 8, isn't it?

Installation DVDs doesn't have drivers, but hidden recovery partition has. And the current drivers are also compatible with Windows 8 and I've checked individual vendor sites for latest updates. All they have windows 8 compatible drivers.

Now what is your choice? I know few people have faced some troubles while upgrading their W7 machine to Windows 8 and while using windows 8. Anyway, thank you very much for the information. All your words was so helpful to me.

Btw one more thing to know, Why Acer didn't have added my machine to the Windows 8 eligible models list? But they have listed so many systems that has lower specs than mine. Even all my hardware vendors have released drivers for Windows 8, but Acer wont provide them.

Thanks again for your advice!

Sorry if I had written a novel here.

• Vince53
    Answer ✓

Although your machine has higher specs than some machines that can handle WIndows 8, Microsoft's own evaluation shows that your rig cannot handle Windows 8 well. Three years of Windows 7 with no problems? Then if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Getting the drivers off the recovery disk could be impossible. And drivers from the manufacturers are not guaranteed to work on an Acer machine designed for a different OS.

You do realize that for about $200 you can buy a new laptop with WIndows 8 installed. I love Windows 8 so much that that is the route I would take. In fact, it is the route I took.

• osandakj

Yes I think so. Bus sounds are little bad here Smiley Sad Um so upset about the news, that my system is not compatible with Windows 8. Hmm yeah! BTW Win 7 is working fine for me. But we can reinstall drivers using "Acer eRecovery Management" program.

Anyway, I dunt have an idea to buy a new system because of windows 8. But that's much better than installing W8 in incompatible system Smiley Frustrated

Thank you for the info

Have a nice day!

This discussion has been closed.